General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

exhaust leak or axle bearing

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 12:54 PM
2nd Gear member
Default exhaust leak or axle bearing

Ok ther is a new noise coming from the rear of my car, and I have no idea what it is. It is directly related to engine speed, but only happens while it is in gear and under load, free revving it will not make the noise. Its sorta like a whooshing sound, like there is a lot of air trying to get through a small hole. It gets louder as the rpms go up, and if I give it more gas the noise gets louder also, There are no visible changes from before, as I already had a huge hole in my muffler. I was wondering what axle bearings or wheel bearings w/e is in the back sound like when they need changed, but then wouldnt it make the noise while coasting also? The other thing is the engine itself doesnt seem to be the source of the noise, as it is definintly behind the front seats. The only other thing I could think of is, is it possible to install a driveshaft wrong and have it slip? I just had a new clutch put in and to my amazement there was already a one peice on my v6, and although I dont know much I dont trust any shops, Im paranoid of them cutting corners.

Has anyone else ever had noises like that? Or atleast know about the driveshaft or bearing thing?

Please and thank you!!!

Old 02-26-2008, 01:10 PM
Overdrive Member
Default RE: exhaust leak or axle bearing

95slvrZ28 to the rescue! I heed to your call from the Off Topic section!

If it's a wheel bearing it's going to make the noise at all times and it will be related to the speed that the car is moving, not the engine load or engine speed. It sounds to me like you may have a hole in the exhaust, whether it visually changed or not, this doesn't mean something didn't rust through further and sprout an actual leak, or it could be on the top of a pipe. The sound that your describing sounds a lot like an exhaust leak to me. Go and get some drivethrough and when you're sitting next to the wall listen to your car and see if its making a pffft pffft sort of sound that is related to RPM.

Old 02-26-2008, 01:14 PM
Overdrive Member

ORIGINAL: 95slvrZ28

95slvrZ28 to the rescue! I heed to your call from the Off Topic section!

If it's a wheel bearing it's going to make the noise at all times and it will be related to the speed that the car is moving, not the engine load or engine speed. It sounds to me like you may have a hole in the exhaust, whether it visually changed or not, this doesn't mean something didn't rust through further and sprout an actual leak, or it could be on the top of a pipe. The sound that your describing sounds a lot like an exhaust leak to me. Go and get some drivethrough and when you're sitting next to the wall listen to your car and see if its making a pffft pffft sort of sound that is related to RPM.
Beat me to it.

Old 02-26-2008, 01:16 PM
2nd Gear member

Off topic is almost an advertisment section anymore....

Anyway, thats what I thought, if its an exhaust leak im not real worried, ive got an SLP catback its just way to cold to do anything to a car right now.... I hadnt thought about that drivethrough idea thats pretty good, I'll try that later... Thanks

Old 02-27-2008, 04:30 PM
2nd Gear member

I dont think its a leak anymore, it seems more like the exhaust is being restricted. And the car feels alot slower the higher into the rpms i go. Im afraid to take it past 3.5k now because its a sound sorta like pressure building, and I really dont want to see what the culmination of redline would be[&:][&:]. Im taking it back to the tranny shop that put in my clutch and Im gonna ask them what all the helll they did. That, and I noticed it is audible at idle, I parked in my garage, put the door down to the bumper, and sat in there with it running for about 3-5 minutes and could hear it, its like a low whistle..... Grrrr.... And the last mechanic that looked it over before the clutch thing said it was in great shape for 104k miles, I sorta know him personally, and he said this is leaps and bounds above the LT1 I brought into him atleast once a month lol. Any help would be appreciated, ANY AT ALL!!!

Old 02-28-2008, 11:40 PM
2nd Gear member
Default RE: damn cats!!

Well, via screw driver and jackstands, I found the source. The catalytic converter, so I took it to autozone to get it scanned, because my light is always on for some EVAP stuff I cant afford to fix right now I didnt know a new code had been thrown, I didnt get the exact code, but inefficient/inoperating catalyst is what came up. Im guessing its plugged..... SOB.... Sooooo.... 02 sim or new cat? What do you guys think would be better for a peppy DD?

Old 02-29-2008, 06:33 AM
Overdrive Member

Are you asking whether to straight pipe it or get a new cat? The way that last part was worded, made it sound like a sim would get rid of the problem, which it won't. Personally, I would just get a hi-flo cat, but that's cause of emissions and such. EVAP code may or may not be related to the cat problem. There's a guy in the V6 section who has a problem similar to your's and his car has the EVAP code...

Old 02-29-2008, 08:27 AM
1st Gear Member

RED94V6 WHATS UP HOWS IT GOIN....

I ALSO NEED REPLACE MY CAT IT'S RATTLEING AND IAM SURE IT'S JUST GONNA COMPLETLY CLOG...

IAM ALSO THROWIN A EVAP CODE P442 SO IDK

SO MY QUESTION IS THE SAME NEW02SIM OR NEW CAT...

THANX ANYBODY FOR UR INPUT////

Old 02-29-2008, 09:25 AM
2nd Gear member

All caps FTMFL[:@]

I'd probably just get a nice high flow cat. Doesn't your SLP system come with one?

Old 02-29-2008, 10:41 AM
Overdrive Member

If the cat is ratteling or clogged an O2 sim ins't going to fix anything...

That being said I would probably recommend going for a good high flow cat, such as a Random Technology or a Magnaflow to fix the issue.

Quick Reply: exhaust leak or axle bearing