General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

engine won't start

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2008, 07:27 PM
Default engine won't start

I have a 2002 Camaro, v6 with 100,000 miles. The engine won't turn over or crank. I had the battery checked and it passed, and it is fully charged. I cleaned the positive lead from battery removing the red plastic covering and checked all fuses at the two engine compartment fuse blocks, all good. The three fusible links at fuse block seem good. When I turn the key to start position, I do not hear the solenoid at the starter kick out or click, the starter does not spin. I removed the starter with solenoid and both passed two separate tests at the auto parts stores as good. The only sound I hear when I turn the key is a clicking at the fuse block area on the left driver side of engine compartment. All lights, headlights and interiror dash lights work as normal. Can someone give me some idea what to check next? Thanks

Old 12-20-2008, 08:28 PM
Overdrive Member
Default RE: engine won't start

replace the ignition switch

Old 12-29-2008, 01:26 AM

Thanks for replying Alih.
Another question if you would, before I replace the ignition switch, I'm trying to eliminate the simple stuff first.
A friend told me that, since I'm hearing a "clicking" noise in the fuse block area under the hood on driver's side when I turn the key to the on position; this would indicate that the ignition switch is sending a signal to the battery to open a circuit to the starter, but the starter is not receiving power.

In your opinion, does this still sound like an ignition switch issue?
Also, does the neutral safety switch cause a similar condition as the ignition switch?
By the same I mean that if the battery, starter and solenoid are all good, but the only sound i get when turning the key to on is a "click", like a relay switch sound in the fuse block?

Old 12-29-2008, 07:47 AM
Tech Droid

Check the start relay which sends power to the starter solenoid. The relay is controlled by the PCM from info received from the VATS system.The clicking in the fuse blockmay be the relay operating but the contacts may be damaged or there is no power to the relay contacts. Power to the start relay contacts comes from the STRTR fuse (Under Hood Electrical Panel). Power for the start relay coil comes from the ignition switch, through the STRTR fuse, then through the netral safety switch or clutch switch. The PCM applies a ground to the other side of the relay coil to operate the contacts. Also check the IGN fuse, which power the whole sequence

Old 12-29-2008, 10:52 AM
4th Gear Member

You say you cleaned the positive cable but how about the neg. ground cable?
That issue is more often a ground issue than positive cable issue.
Make sure the cable and terminals are clean on both ends,just a little corrosion can do what you describe.