General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

embarssing question :D

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2009, 08:48 AM
Default embarssing question :D

hey guys how are you ? i want to swap an engine in my 78 camaro okay i though of brand new 572 ok but the problem is , i dont know anything about mechanics and what the car will need then and what are the roles of each parts installed , right now i'm rebuilding the whole car from A to Z so i need your help step by step to know what i'm supposed to do 1st in order to do everything right, its easy to get pro mechanic and swap the engine for me and will ask me for parts to get to upgrade performance but i need to learn how things work i hope i'm not bothering you guys

Old 04-15-2009, 04:00 PM
2nd Gear member

Wow. a 572 into a 78 will take some work and innovation. If you really know nothing better have a shop do it or buy books and start learning. The 572 is a decked (taller than stock big block) engine and so takes more room up and down than stock, to begin with, and is wider. It can be done, but it takes work and a bit know how.

Old 04-16-2009, 07:06 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Slow down, don't go out and buy a 10K motor. Start out small. Maybe replace a small block with a small block. When you change to a motor type that did not come stock in the car you are going beyond what even most mechanic can do and you are moving into fabrication.

In some cases kits can be had in the case of your second gen some of the parts are around because the early second gens had Big blocks stock. But since you are talking a 572 research will be needed. You will also want to "design" the car for what you want. Top End, Road racing, quater mile or whatever. Tranny will need built and a rear that can handle torque will need figured out. Also the whole body will need to be strenghten else that 572 would turn it into a cork screw. You are going to have to collect a lot of tools and a lot of skill on how to use each of them.

Here is a good starting point
http://smartflix.com/store/category/117/Vehicles

Old 04-16-2009, 09:28 PM

Thanks Lee and Gorn for your helpful info i really appreciate it you made my day , well from what you are saying guying 572 wont fit directly and needs some modifications, so what do u recommend for me, see guys my aim is to make this car street racing but a crazy one , so what you have said to me right now is in my consideration so what would u suggest for me as an engine a need a big block one so i can modify and easily get alot of horse power so what do u suggest for an engine and to what extent it can be modified

Old 04-16-2009, 10:26 PM
Y2K
4th Gear Member

It's not a huge deal to stuff a big block in that car but I'd suggest you just build a healthy 383 stroker small block 350.
I'd guess you've not driven a car with a serious big block before,it may be more than you can handle and certainly a built 572 is overkill for most people in a street car.
A 383 with the right heads and other components can be a seriously big horsepower engine and will bolt right in your car eliminating all the headaches involved with a big block swap.
You'll still need subframe connectors,a beefy rear axle set up and suspension mods,a superduty tranny and drive line etc.
Your build is only as strong as the weakest part so you need to do a lot more than just a motor build.

Old 04-17-2009, 09:09 AM

well Y2K i have never drived an amercian muscle before with powerful engine i used to drive nissan z350 tuned with nismo cam shifts and nos system and stock porshe cayyene turbo but what i like in muscle cars is that you feel what u r driving and the car goes whereever you want thats what i liked , my car right now is with 305 engine but it is more than weak to start working on it and also it think it is in bad shape there is black smoke comes from the exhaust right now, see Y2K i want to ask you question if i installed 350 how much hp it can get if it is modified, would 350 beat an m5 or m3 ?

Old 04-17-2009, 09:21 AM

something poped in my mind, well whats the point of getting small block engine and modifey it to get more hp, why one should go for a big block from the begining and what do you think

Old 04-17-2009, 02:34 PM
Y2K
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by bahabishoo
something poped in my mind, well whats the point of getting small block engine and modifey it to get more hp, why one should go for a big block from the begining and what do you think

For one, a small block slips right in you car like the stock engine and all the accessoeries will bolt up,a 383" stroker can make as much or more hp as a lot of big blocks yet weighs less so it has better power to weight ratio.
That also means it will not adversely affect the handling of the car requiring more mods in suspension to compensate for the extra weight.
500hp is not out of the question with a naturally asperated 383 and there's more on tap with ease if you add a turbo or blower,then there is always nitrous.
Don't get me wrong,I love big blocks,I have one in my truck and my boat but IMHO for your application you will get more bang for your buck with less headaches going with a big inch smallblock .

Last edited by Y2K; 04-18-2009 at 09:06 AM.
Old 04-17-2009, 10:39 PM

okay now i got your point , there is another question for you i know i am bothering you with my question but excuse for my ignorance should i go for a used 350 engine and modifey it or get a new one, used one here egypt would cost me around 1k or should i go for a new one which will cost around 4 or 5 k without taxes which is 1.5k and yet modifying it and installation what do you think if u were in my place

Old 04-18-2009, 12:54 AM
Third Generation Moderator
March 2010 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

If there's that much of a price difference, go used.

Quick Reply: embarssing question :D