General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Dieseling

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2007, 06:25 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Dieseling

the only time my car has done this "dieseling" is when it was super over heated. tried to shut it off and it had other plans. diesel engines use glow plugs. ^_^ just thought id say that, even if you did already know.

edit
*goes to show you shouldnt make posts at 4 am lol*

Old 05-02-2007, 06:48 AM
May 2007 ROTM

That is what the carbon build up does heats up and glows ike a glow plug,seting off the left over gases left in the chamber, the smog stuff may help choke those fumes.

Old 05-03-2007, 01:36 PM
2nd Gear member

[X(]well ill throw my two cents into the mix. first dont ditch the quadra jet unless its been diagnosed as needing a rebuild these are good carbs small responsive primaries for good mileage and large secondaries for pedal to the metal fun. you carb is a feedback model which is expensive to rebuild and is tied to an onboard computer. simply switching to an edelbrock will cause more unwanted drivability problems than you currently have cause it wont be tied into the computer system. your quadra jet sounds like it could use some choke and idle speed adjustments. dieseling is a result of hot carbon bits in the cylinder acting like spark plugs when you try to shut the car off while the idle speed adjustments are set to high. some of these carbs had an idle speed kicker motor on the driver side front of carb used to bump up the idle speed if the ac was on but i cant see this in your pic. there are also several electric sensors and solenoids in your carb that the computer controls so i really advise against throwing the edelbrock on it. also i dont know what kind of emissions testing and inspections you have in your area but an aftermarket carb is an emissions no no as far as these folks are concerned and you will fail an inspection. also since this is computer controlled its very likely you will plug the catalytic converters with improper fuel air ratios with an aftermarket carb as the computer will be going nuts or shut down without the carb plugged in. the computer also controls timing, air injection etc. as i said it sounds like choke and idle adjustments are needed and i suggest you take it to a dealer as they are most likely to be familiar with the feedback carb and necessary adjustments

Old 05-03-2007, 01:45 PM
2nd Gear member

[X(] i also noticed that youve adjusted the timing did you disconnect the ignition wire to the computer when you did this if not you WILL have dialed in the wrong initial timing. also check for vacuum leaks created when you did the work. vacumm is used to control several things not to mention the engine doesnt like them kurt

Old 05-03-2007, 02:12 PM

Glow plugs on a diesel engine are only used to warm up the combustion chamber during cold starts. The ignition of the air fuel mixture is caused by compression.

Old 05-03-2007, 04:49 PM
HELP ME TOM CRUISE
Yaaarrrrrr

So did you set the timing? 'deiseling' aka 'run-on' is when the motor continues to run after you turn the key off, its caused by inproperly set timing.

Old 05-03-2007, 06:06 PM
March 2011 ROTM
Technical User
ROTM Winner's Club

id say maybe a vaccum advance might be a problem.

as for the wheels, i dont know what they are. they are aluminum with chrome steel caps. thats about all i know. theyre old too, the backs are encrusted with junk that wouldnt be removable. they came with the car too.

Old 05-03-2007, 06:49 PM
Overdrive Member

"Quadrajunk"
Why do people that don't know what they are doing call them that. They are great carbs. Mine worked perfect. One push of the throttle in the morning to set the choke and it kicked down on its own as it warmed up. Tuned it fro a little more performance by changing the secondary metering rods and hanger. Every edelbrock/carter/weber usa I have seen and heard from others that use them start off as junk out of the box. Main thing is the leaky and loosethrottle shaft bushings.

Microkid
There is not vacuum advance on a computer controled vehicle.

Old 05-03-2007, 09:10 PM
March 2011 ROTM
Technical User
ROTM Winner's Club

theres one on my hei, and mine is tpi. if it doesnt have advance weights, it should have a vacuum advance (as far as i know)

Old 05-03-2007, 10:54 PM
Tech Droid

Dieseling or after running takes place after the ignition is turned off and has nothing to do with with ignition timing, because it happens without a spark. The usual causes of dieseling are hot spots in the combustion chamber, could be carbon, some sharp edge, wrong heat range plug; or toowidethrottle opening when the engine is shut down, or most likely a combination of both. In order for dieseling to take place the engine has to get fuel, which is available in the carb's bowl, even if using an electric fuel pump which shuts off with the ignition.
As for the Quadrajet, they are no harder to work with than most other brands once you learn about them. Iowned a 1968 327 Vette with a factory Quadrajet for 5 years. The carb worked perfectly with no driveability problems, and got even better when I put in bigger jets and adjusted the accelerator pump. Like Mike said, the small primaries provide excellent response, and give a little better fuel economy.

Quick Reply: Dieseling