General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Cylinder Not Firing [Fixed]

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2008, 05:14 PM
Default Cylinder Not Firing [Fixed]

97 Camaro RS, just got it back from the body shop after a recent accident, car looks beautiful however while idling the car shakes back and forth very rough and when you press the gas it backfires.

Any one else ever have this problem?

Old 11-07-2008, 05:34 PM
Tech Droid
Default RE: Backfire through intake manafold?

Sounds like a misfire problem. You may have crunched some wires or plugs during the accident. Check the entire ignition system. Also a possibility that the fuel line may have gotten squished and restricting fuel flow.

Old 11-07-2008, 05:58 PM
Overdrive Member

Any service engine light? Maybe the body shop left some thing unplugged or as stated by Pete wires pinched or cut. Or at times the body shop will put a rag in the intake hose if it was taken apart to keep dirt out. Seen my boss leave one in before.

Old 11-07-2008, 08:44 PM

ORIGINAL: MadMikeZ28

Any service engine light? Maybe the body shop left some thing unplugged or as stated by Pete wires pinched or cut. Or at times the body shop will put a rag in the intake hose if it was taken apart to keep dirt out. Seen my boss leave one in before.
-Ya the light was on since i bought the car, but no problems so i just said **** it.

-Will check that tomorrow.

Old 11-07-2008, 09:06 PM
Overdrive Member

Well the light is gonna tell you a story. Possible the computer was compensating for a failing part and now it can no longer compensate. Or the body shop disconnected the battery and the computer whent back to its original state and needs a few drive cycles to relearn what it was compensating for.
Just go to autozone or some place with the loan a tool and hook up a code reader and see why the light is on.

Old 11-07-2008, 09:21 PM

ORIGINAL: MadMikeZ28

Well the light is gonna tell you a story. Possible the computer was compensating for a failing part and now it can no longer compensate. Or the body shop disconnected the battery and the computer whent back to its original state and needs a few drive cycles to relearn what it was compensating for.
Just go to autozone or some place with the loan a tool and hook up a code reader and see why the light is on.
Good point on the compensating part, never even thought of that.
Makes sense too because after i got the car back the light was off, then back on again, so yes i would assume they did unplug the battery.

Old 11-08-2008, 10:11 AM
2nd Gear member

[] certainly check for things that may have been damaged in the accident or by the body shop but from the sounds of it its a lean condition causing your symptoms and this can have a myriad of causes. bad, slow, partially plugged injector would be a possibility. try to isolate the misfire as to the number of cylinders its occuring in and or which specific cylinder its occuring in and this may help find the culprit. kurt

Old 11-08-2008, 12:51 PM

Looked at it for a couple hours this morning, cant seem to find the problem, the shop forgot to put in an air filter, but i replaced that & that's besides the point.
I mean it could be as simple as to change the plugs but id rather not go replacing things that don't need to be replaced.
Its raining out so the guys at auto zone wont read the codes....

Old 11-08-2008, 02:33 PM

So i have come to the conclusion that it is most likely the camshaft position sensor, im going to be taking it to a shop Monday hopefully because it seems more difficult for myself to do it.
Thanks for all the replies guys[sm=smiley14.gif]

Old 11-08-2008, 02:42 PM
Overdrive Member

Is that what code it gave?
And what is it with not reading codes in the rain. They do it from inside the car. [8D]

Quick Reply: Cylinder Not Firing [Fixed]