General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Cost of having a camaro repainted?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2007, 12:26 AM
Default Cost of having a camaro repainted?

Hi I have a 2000 v6 camaro. And the paint has started to basically fall off. On the back tail wing corner it is missing nearly a square foot of paint. I want to sell the car and it looks so horrible that I am considering having it repainted. I've never had a car repainted and was curious as to what it might cost? And how long it would take? And if its worth doing or if the quality might be worse than the first paint job?

If you have any info that may help me out I look forward to hearing from you.

THanks,

Sevenpelicans

Old 11-30-2007, 04:16 AM
Overdrive Member
Default RE: Cost of having a camaro repainted?

Thats a question for a body shop in your area. Just like the price of gas the rates will vary.

Old 11-30-2007, 09:11 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Generally, Paint jobs are a little costly. Mainly with the labor. I know you can get a cheap Maaco paint job. But I've heard they aren't very good. Or at least for the real "cheap" paint jobs. But check and find out. Other than that, as said, check a local body and paint shop, see what theyhaveto say.

Old 11-30-2007, 11:59 AM
2nd Gear member

[] yo seven for a nice job that will last more than a year or two your gonna be into it for several thousand dollars and wouldnt count on a factory or better job for the entire car for under $5-10 grand. ya there is maaco and other quickie cheap shops but like lots of things in life you usually get what you pay for. GOOD paint and bodywork is time consuming and expensive especially for the materials and facilities so expect to pay for them. yes you can do it in your back yard but trust me you wont like the quality , hell ive even seen a guy literally take a 4 inch paint brush and house paint to his car, looked allright...... from 500 feet away. alot of vehicles are condidered totals simply based on cosmetics after an accident, the cost of paint and body work is getting crazy and its tuff to find a good shop that even wants to work on customer financed projects cause there so used to ripping off the insurance companies that it doesnt pay to mess with the custom paint jobs.

the costs will have a zillion variables, the shop used, materials used, how large the repair or portion to be repainted. you will usually NOT recover paint and bodywork repair dollars when you sell your car, this only brings it back on par with all the others out there. some people dont mind or care as much as others of us about cosmetics or dont mind cosmeticly challenged rides if they get them for $500 or whatever amount less than the rest available.

unless you got your first piece in the backseat of the that car you may want to maaco paint it and sell it while it looks good and find one more to your liking with no paint and or bodywork problems. if your gonna be picky, as some of us are when it comes to our cars, ill guarantee that if you keep the car and have it cheaply painted you will always notice it and be unhappy. if your of the just need tranportation crowd then maaco will make you happy but expect things to start looking funky within a couple years if not right off the bat.

like most things concerning cars its a owner preference thing when it comes to how she looks and or runs. like the old addage for speed... how fast do you want to go?? depends on how much your willing to spend. paint will have a similar motto how good do you want it to look and for how long??? will depend on how much you want to spend kurt

Old 11-30-2007, 01:00 PM
Dominos Puck
New Formula! Now with 10% more Win!

My barber used to have a metallic blue third gen. He wanted to have white racing stripes painted on it with a new clear coat. After he had it done, you could run your finger across them not feel a ridge where the white started. It was smooth. I'm not sure how much of the car was redone. Maybe just the hood, roof, and hatch.

He said he paid about 5 grand for that job. Wow.

I think it would be cool to pick up an old 2nd gen someday and restore it, and have it repainted. I would settle for nothing less than perfection. I'd want it to look like glass. 10 grand for a job like that? Hmm... I might have to rethink the 2nd gen restoration dream then.. I wouldn't want anything custom looking, though. Just solid black with a glassy clear coat and red decals.

Sorry, I'm talking about my dream car and not answering your question, now.

Old 11-30-2007, 08:45 PM
3rd Gear Member

Ya i work at a body shop, and like the others said it depends on all that you want done. Your probably lookin and between 3-7 grand. Also with Macco stay away, the painter i work with said their clear coat is gone in less than two years. They really water their Materials down.

Old 12-01-2007, 12:36 AM
3rd Gear Member

For a good paint job it will be a few thousand dollars. I only know because my dad is about to have his 79' Vette painted, and it will cost him about $4,000. What we're doing now is all the prep work, it saves some money. Not only are you saving money when you strip it and prep it, but since you are doing it to your own car, you will tend to take more time on it and make sure it is done nicely. That waythe surface will take the new primer and paint well.

Old 12-02-2007, 06:46 PM

I know a few guys that have had the cheep Maaco paint jobs done and they turned out great, but they did all the prep work befor it went to Maaco for paint. Most Maaco shops can spray pain with the best of them but thier prep work sucks so the end result sucks since even a great paint job cant cover a crapy prep work job. just my 2 cents.