General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Convertable motor question (pics included)

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2009, 05:06 PM
Default Convertable motor question (pics included)

Hi!

This may seem like a stupid question but I have very limited automotive knowledge.

I just pulled my `94 z28 out of storage and have noticed many problems with my baby.

It was a wonderful day so I decided to put the top down. I unhooked the top and unlatched it, pressed the button, low and behold nothing happened.

Instantly I had a flashback of when I used to cruise with my ex-girlfriend and we used to unlatch our sides. Problem is after you unlatch it you have to make sure to unhook it, 2 steps.

My side was done right but she didn't do the second step. She hit the button and nothing happend for 2 seconds when I yelled to stop. Simple mistake, glad I caught it early. It still worked after that situation and she learned.

Thing is when I had it in storage I'm sure the relatives that I stored the car at drove it from time to time.

I'm almost positive they did the same thing as her but didn't have anyone to stop them probably burning out the motor.

Anyways I purchased the Haynes manual to see if it had any info but I couldn't find any sections regarding convertables.

I poped the trunk and checked out what I think is the motor that works the top. It looks as if maybe a hose is broken or something because I noticed some liquid spilled out all around, Hydrolic fluid I asume (all this is speculative because I really don't know much about cars).

Here's the number that was listed on the part.

Can anyone give me any idea on where to begin on fixing this thing?

I dont even know where to start.

Any advice would be greatly appretiated.

Thank you,

Sub

Old 04-13-2009, 09:09 PM
1st Gear Member

Haynes doesn't have anything on convertibles. I'd see if there's any fluid in there/refill it. I forget what fluid to use (maybe DOT3 brake fluid - have to check the manual), and check the motor again.

I'd also check the fuse to see if it's blown too.

Oh, and you see the little black handle on the middle pic - between the hoses? That's the shutoff valve for the top. Next time you store it, turn it clockwise to isolate the pump and keep it from happening again.

Old 04-14-2009, 11:50 AM

Thank you for the reply.

The fluid was a little low so I added some.

The top worked for a second and I went back to check it and I noticed a broken piece. The fluid is leaking out of a really small crack in this elbow piece.

I snapped a photo so I could show you guys.

Looks like the problem is being isolated but this leads me to another question.

Would it be as simple as unscrewing the piece and replacing it or would I have to drain all the fluid first?

Thanks again for the help.

Sub

Old 04-14-2009, 02:04 PM
Overdrive Member

What fluid did you add? Is it that metal part that broke, or are some threads just loose?

Old 04-14-2009, 03:05 PM

I checked the manual and it said to use DOT3 break fluid like Traumadog recomended.

There seems to be a micro crack in that metal piece where you see the bubble. Its not leaking out of the threads.

Old 04-15-2009, 11:06 PM
1st Gear Member

If the fluid's already gone, then I'd just swap the piece out. Just be careful not to get alot of crap in the tubing... it'll wreck the motor. (think metal filings in oil)

Once you're done - you have to purge the system again, like bleeding brakes.