General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Cold-blooded: gave it some thought

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2007, 12:27 PM
Ninja Administrator
Default Cold-blooded: gave it some thought

I posted a while back that my TA was being real cold blooded. That it acted as if it had no power when it was cold. It would stall when I would try to drive, fast blips of the throttle would choke it, so on and so forth.

I have colder plugs for my nitrous, when the motor is real cold (freezing weather-ish) could colder plugs cause the car to have trouble? maybe the gas isnt releasing the energy it should with the colder spark. Once it heats up it runs like a champ, but it just doesnt like it in the cold.

also, the other day i started it to bring it home for the winter, took forever for it to go, it would roar to life then die, up, then die, up then die, and even if I kept my foot on the throttle it would die, i had to keep bliping the throttle and eventually it heated up enough to stay alive but it sounded like i had a big cam in it. the idle eventually smoothed out as it came to operating temps and then it drove fine all the way back to my parents.

so could this just be a side effect of colder plugs?

Old 12-11-2007, 08:29 PM
Tech Droid
Default RE: Cold-blooded: gave it some thought

Cold plugs do not make a colder spark. The heat range of a plug refers to the temperature that the tip of the insulator reaches. A plug too cold for a particular application will eventually foul because the insulator tip does not get hot enough to burn clean. You gave little information about your engine set up, but I am guessing that the engine is not tuned properly and not getting enough fuel when cold, or that your plugs are getting fouled when first starting up.

Old 12-11-2007, 10:09 PM
2nd Gear member

[&:] i really doubt your problems are plug related unless maybe you got a bad batch of plugs. will need more info on year and mods etc to engine to begin to help kurt

Old 12-11-2007, 10:34 PM
Ninja Administrator

ORIGINAL: z28pete

Cold plugs do not make a colder spark. The heat range of a plug refers to the temperature that the tip of the insulator reaches. A plug too cold for a particular application will eventually foul because the insulator tip does not get hot enough to burn clean. You gave little information about your engine set up, but I am guessing that the engine is not tuned properly and not getting enough fuel when cold, or that your plugs are getting fouled when first starting up.
weve thought about the tune, however, the car runs 12.2 AF at WOT and high 13/low14 at idle and most of cruise. Unless something weird is going on just at startup i dont know, we have given it some thought. its an ls1 with longtubes, intake, 125 nitrous shot, and HPtuned. the car just acts really cold blooded. it is definitly temp dependent because once the temp gauge reaches norm temps the car runs as if nothing was ever wrong. so what things make the car cold blooded? its not a big problem, just irritating

Old 12-12-2007, 12:04 PM
1st Gear Member

I was having the same exact problem you are describing with my car. The symptoms are the same as mine toa "T". The one difference is that my car eventually stopped starting altogether eventually. Then I knew it was time to really try and fix it.

I started with the ignition control module. I had it tested and it failed so I replaced that. Next I wasn't getting any spark at all and I traced it to the security system. In particular, the ignition cylinder with the VATS security system. I have no idea what year your car is so I don't know if you have one in your car, but thats what mine was. After replacing those two parts, the problem completely disappeared. It's been fine for two months now.