General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Code Reader

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2007, 04:50 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Code Reader

Well my 85 throws the engine light after about 30 min of driving? Usually i drive for about 15-20 at a time and want to go to the beach this weekend and want to make sure she'll make it, any clue how much it would cost have a shop hook it up and check the code?

Old 05-24-2007, 04:59 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Code Reader

Most shops would want to sell some diagnostic time to actually determine what the fault is. The code won't tell what's broke, it will just tell what circuits, systems, or electical componets have a failure so the tech has a place to start testing.

I know Autozone will do code reads for free, and then upsell some part by shot-gunning the diagnoses in the lot with no testing. Or using a silver bullet, as it is called in the industry. That is where a pattern failure is so well known that a certain code seen on a certain model is a slam dunk for what part has failed. For instance, GM 3100 V6 from 96 to 99 or so. P0300 set at idle, low RPM. Injectors are most likely plugging up and aren't delivering enough volume at idle causing a slight miss.

Hell, I've done just code reads for free on customers cars. 5pm, they need the car, I'll hook up and tell them. Ok, it's just a simple EVAP code, won't cause you to break down, let's set a time to diagnose the problem. If it reads as something serious, then lay the car up and tell them driving it could ruin it.

In reality, it could be free, all the way up to a hundred or so bucks. It just depends on the shops policy for diagnosing CE lights and the cause of the light.

Old 05-24-2007, 05:58 PM
Overdrive Member

Use the paper clip in the A+B connectors and watch the check engine light.

Old 05-24-2007, 06:42 PM
1st Gear Member

Im pretty sure ive tried the paper clip method and nothing but if you want to explain it again its worth a shot...And im almost positive that the auto part stores only have the obd2 when i need obd1??

Old 05-24-2007, 07:38 PM
1st Gear Member

A and B are the upper right corner.

Flash 12 three times, then the code listed will flash three times. 12 is no rpm signal, which makes sense since the car isn't running.

Google the code, you'll have a general idea if it's a issue.

Old 05-24-2007, 07:48 PM
1st Gear Member

i feel stupid in asking this but will an actual # flash or a certain amount of flashes? and wasnt there a diagram for this?
Thanks

Old 05-24-2007, 09:14 PM
Overdrive Member

It will flash each code three times. Starting with 12.
12 would be 1 flash[short pause] 2 flashes [longer pause] 1flash [short pause]......And so on. Each set of flashes betwwen pauses is a digit in a two digit code.Count the flashes. write the codes down. Let us know.

Old 05-24-2007, 09:38 PM
1st Gear Member

I feel so dumb but that confuses the hell out of me, i got some coupon in the mail for like a free engine code read or whatever at meinike so mayb ill use that, doubt its for a car this old tho.

Old 05-24-2007, 11:38 PM
Overdrive Member

I can confuse a person easy. Its my bad.
If you want to try it maybe this is easier explaination
Jump the two terminals on the ALDL connector. Its by the right side of the column lower part of the dash.
Turn the key on but do not start it. just turn the key enough to turn on the dash lights.
Watch the check engine light
Count the flashes in between all the pauses.
(1 flash, pause, 2 flash, pause = code 12)
You will see that happen 3 times. Then if a code is stored you will see that in the same manner.
Example code 34
flash,flash,flash,pause,flash,flash,flash,flash, longer pause,flash,flash,flash,pauseflash,flash,flash,fla sh,longer pause,flash,flash,flash,pause,flash,flash,flash,fl ash,longer pause and on to the next code or back to 12 where it starts again.

Old 05-25-2007, 12:49 AM
In the Staging Lanes

that connector thing is a rectangle with a lot of holes just under the dash in the drivers compartment just to the right of the steering column. if you don't have a manual (heynes, chilton,ect) get one. it shows what it looks like and how to do it. paper clip works great. i keep one in the console just for this reason. no need for a $10,000 code reader when a paper clip (or any small diameter wire that you can bend to fit the slots) will work. believe the imputs are labled via letters so you can't miss it. mike did a good job explaining. have some faith. if you are not going to work on the car, just take it to the shop and let them do their job. prolly cost a lot more than if you use a paper clip and its something very easy though.

Quick Reply: Code Reader