General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Can You Guess How Much Horsepower This Beast Has Got?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2008, 11:55 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default Can You Guess How Much Horsepower This Beast Has Got?

This motor has only been ran on a engine stand so help me figure out what to expect.
Guestimates are more than welcome!!! lets see how close everyone gets. Then
when I put it in, I will dyno it and let who ever gets the closest know they won.
what the hell we might can make a contest out of this

About the Motor: It is a fully modified 1969 Chevy Z28 Camaro 350 4 bolt main
motor that includes Comp Xtreme Energy™, XE274H-10 Very Strong Mid-Range
Torque and Throttle Response Cam, Comp aluminum Roller Rocker lifters,
forged pistons, Brodix Track 1 Polished aluminum heads with 221cc intake port
and 67cc combustion chambers. These heads are valued at 2,500.00 each.
Brodix orange stained aluminum Valve covers that match the motor. 1/4 inch
thick Headers that match up to the heads and have had glass packs already
welded on for straight pipes. Brodix 1000 Series High Rise Intake, Holley
750 Double Pumper carb with fuel rail to match. Over sized air cleaner,
Mallory Dual Point Distributor, M.S.D. Ignition System, Accel Super Coil,
Moroso Motor Mounts. Water Pump, Electric Water Pump Motor, Flex Coolant Fan

Old 08-23-2008, 12:19 AM
4' 11" 117 lbs of fury!
Default RE: Can You Guess How Much Horsepower This Beast Has Got?

270 ish to the wheels

Old 08-23-2008, 01:07 AM
In the Staging Lanes

i think it will be closer to 500hp

Old 08-23-2008, 01:09 AM
In the Staging Lanes

there is already about $10,000.00 in this motor come on!

Old 08-23-2008, 01:11 AM
Overdrive Member

Aaaannddd, this is moving to General Tech because OT is not serious enough for it...

As far as HP goes, get it dyno'd that's the only true way to find out. We need more information, such as the compression ratio, what RPM you're going to be running up to, what ratio of rockers etc. etc.

From what you've put down it sounds like it could make around 400 HP if it were a dyno queen...maybe. In a car it's not going to make 500 HP unless you have a serious cam in it.

Old 08-23-2008, 01:29 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Comp Xtreme Energy™, XE274H-10 Very Strong Mid-Range Torque and Throttle Response Cam
Brodix Track 1 Polished aluminum heads with 221cc intake port and 67cc combustion chambers. These heads are valued at 2,500.00 each. is this big enough cam?

Old 08-23-2008, 01:33 AM
In the Staging Lanes

2200 stall converter, turbo 400 trans with shift kit or possiblly a 1963 power glide trans
out of an impala. i have both but like my Impala and dont really want to start pulling parts off
b/c is all original even windows have no chips and cracks no rust what a find huh?

Old 08-23-2008, 02:26 AM
Overdrive Member

No way in hell you're making 500 HP with that cam. To get 500 HP out of a 350 you're going to need a cam that is almost to the point of being unstreetable.

The post you made still didn't tell me the compression ratio, the size of the combustion chamber alone isn't going to tell us how much compression you have. If you're just going to give us stats we would at least need to know what type of pistions you're running (domed, flat top) and the head decking.

Old 08-23-2008, 01:56 PM
July 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

last week i seen a 72 nova on the dyno.it had a 383 ,dart heads,msd ign,and from the sound of it about the same cam you have ,it was no monster cam but it sounded real good.255hp-277trq.$2500.00 a piece-sounds like to much head and not enough cam

Old 02-12-2013, 06:41 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 95slvrZ28
No way in hell you're making 500 HP with that cam. To get 500 HP out of a 350 you're going to need a cam that is almost to the point of being unstreetable.

The post you made still didn't tell me the compression ratio, the size of the combustion chamber alone isn't going to tell us how much compression you have. If you're just going to give us stats we would at least need to know what type of pistions you're running (domed, flat top) and the head decking.
I know of one XE274 cammed 355 making 500HP with AFR195's competition heads- but I do not know about other heads and it would depend on stage porting.- but mostly effecient aluminum ported heads. That cam is just under max-area, some generic 274 cam is simply not going to compare and neither is a cam with same .050" specs. Then the AFR's effeciency combined with cam effeciency. Keep adding effeciency fellas and you add fatter and fatter power. tack on steady DCR that is effeciently scavanged enough you can get away with more DCR than normal and bam. There you go. Supercharger effect without a supercharger. I am currently in the works of designing a carbon fiber intake manifold tuned specifically for this combo, with complete disregard for hood clearance-only netting the most of the power curve as the only priority. As well as designing an innovative new stainless header design specific to this combination -fitting in 1981 chassis. Also, under excelleration the engine sound and vehicle- behave as if it were under boost in powerband. If I had to guess your combo I would say XE284 and up cam and your heads=500hp There are other cams of this type if you go with comp, make sure -10 is @ end of part no.#. Also check ultradyne, and bullet cams, and lunati's voodoo. Talk to Harold Brookshire ( a.k.a. ultra-dyne Harold)

Last edited by ZL1CAMARO; 02-12-2013 at 07:37 PM. Reason: spelling.

Quick Reply: Can You Guess How Much Horsepower This Beast Has Got?