General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Camaro heating up everyday since it overheated.. PLEASE HELP

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2009, 01:42 AM
Exclamation Camaro heating up everyday since it overheated.. PLEASE HELP

98 Camaro V6

Here's what i know

1.overheated it a few days ago by leaving the radiator cap off on accident
2.refilled water.. bled the air out
3.fan's are working fine
4.Not the thermostat
5.I can hear water burning by water pump but cant see anything
6.Runs good when first started then rough after it's heated up
7.goes between half way and almost in the red.. mainly by the red..
and it never moved from the middle before it overheated...
8. Also the gas mileage went to hell it's drinking it very fast..

OK and i have no idea anymore what it could be i thought maybe the water pump but that would make it just overheat all the time right? not stay at a certain area. Maybe the head gasket? but no water in oil or smoking from exhaust.. im so lost.. and im also wondering why it runs rough all the sudden? can overheating my car ruin my plugs or wires? im confused PLEAASEE HELP im a brand new camaro owner i need help!! thank you

Old 06-12-2009, 02:23 AM
1st Gear Member

I know when I used straight water and not a antifreeze mix, mine ran alot hotter... just an idea.

Old 06-12-2009, 02:41 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

have u scanned for trouble codes? a bad water pump leaks water. have not seen one quit pumping fluid. could change the thermo, fill the engine with fluid before putting the thermo in. then put back together and bleed the air. run a few minutes and bleed again. use a 50/50 mix for fluid. to much antifreeze with make it overheat also.

Last edited by craby; 06-12-2009 at 02:45 AM.
Old 06-12-2009, 03:01 AM

mine is straight water right now.. i was thinking about buying some 50/50 mix.. i've changed the thermo it's not that my water system has been bled.. and like i said i can hear a little bit of water burning up somewhere around the water pump maybe a gasket of some kind?

Old 06-12-2009, 09:52 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

always use some antifreeze or water pump lube in there, the water pump needs a little lube or it goes. does it sound like a vacum leak? could be a bad pump or still some air in there. try parking on a hill with the front to the up side and bleed. getting air out of these especially the v8s is a pita. do a comprssion test. u may be right with the head gasket idea.

Old 06-12-2009, 11:47 AM
Tech Droid

Overheating can cause the heads to warp, which then results in a blown gasket. A blown gasket leads to more overheating because combustion gases get into the coolant displacing the coolant. Poor performance results because coolant gets into the combustion chamber, and coolant is very poor fuel.

Old 06-12-2009, 07:15 PM

Well i took it to Break Masters today and they gave me the bad news "Needs a new motor" i mean they are VERY unreliable here in Tucson but thats what they told me they said it's a blown head gasket and it's putting coolent into the exhaust or something like that and also the rod's are knocking.. should i take it for what they say and try to look for a new engine or get a second opinion? is what they said pretty reliable? sound like they might be right?

Old 06-12-2009, 08:23 PM
Tech Droid

You can get a second opinion, but from what you are telling us, I tend to agree with your mechanic. You may be able to save money by installing a used engine. Many salvage yards sell and install used engines, and some even give you a warranty.

Old 06-13-2009, 11:37 PM

I may be wrong but if my gaskets were blown wouldn't i be smoking or overheating? like said mine stops right before the red but i didn't like that it heated up so much.. wouldn't it overheat all the way if it was blown? sorry for repeating myself but i was told i would have some certain color smoke coming out if it was a blown gasket.. Please correct me if I'm wrong.. thank you.

Old 06-14-2009, 12:02 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

blown gasket or cracked block or head does not always steam the exhaust or put water in the oil. i have seen the oposite. oil in the water and nothing else. had a cracked block once that didnt leak water, didnt overheat but ran like crap. so are the rods knocking? how many miles on the car?

Quick Reply: Camaro heating up everyday since it overheated.. PLEASE HELP