General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

brakelights... uh-oh

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2007, 01:47 PM
Default brakelights... uh-oh

i have an 86 camaro. i took out my girl today bowling, and when i parked, a guy pulled in behind my camaro in his grand prix, and said "hey man, just figured i'd tell you, you have no brakelights. sweet car though!" and he sped off. so alyson hops in the driver's seat and hits the brakes for me, no lights at all. the 3rd brake light in the spoiler isnt hooked up, but the other standard taillights have never given me a problem before. both of them did not come on, at all. how should i go about fixing this?? probably gonna need a test light and stuff right?? when i turn the headlights on, my taillights come on normally, but still when i hit hte brakes they do not alluminate, so my bulbs are good, but they arent getting the signal to turn on the brakelights. the pedal switch engages perfectly, all wires are snug and where they are supposed to be coming from the switch

Old 05-20-2007, 03:27 PM
March 2011 ROTM
Technical User
ROTM Winner's Club
Default RE: brakelights... uh-oh

prolly easiest thing to do is replace the switch on the pedal first. that is usually the problem. if not, check if there are any relays or such on the line, and replace them

Old 05-20-2007, 03:59 PM

fixed it! i found a blown fuse, replaced it, blew it again, replaced it, blew it again, and then i took the bulbs off of the harness, and they had what looked like peanut butter all over the connections. so i cleaned it off, put in one more fuse, and now i am all set. thanks.

Old 05-20-2007, 06:01 PM
Overdrive Member

That peanut butter keeps the contacts from corroding and aids in contact.

Old 05-20-2007, 06:09 PM
4th Gear Member

do you use the creamy kind or extra crunchy??? mine always blow.

Old 05-24-2007, 09:24 AM
1st Gear Member

choosey moms choose JIFF