General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Brake issues

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2006, 02:17 AM
2nd Gear member
Default Brake issues

Okay so i wont beat around the bush this time. i was wondering if anyone else had the same problem... so in the beginning of the range of motion of the brake pedal, there is no braking and when i increase pressure, it is a sudden HARD braking and locks the rear up in most parking lots. i have replaced the drums and the wheel cylinders... any ideas.
thanks

Old 11-09-2006, 12:17 PM
3rd Gear Member
Default RE: Brake issues

Try bleeding the system. That's what it sounds like to me.

Old 11-09-2006, 02:34 PM
In the Staging Lanes

maybe the brake booster... when mine went bad it would lock up my tires....?

Old 11-09-2006, 06:17 PM
2nd Gear member

First of all thanks for the replies. i think the other two times when i took it in, they bled the system and that is why the brakes worked perfect for the first couple days, but something keeps happening to make them this way. i dont know. and the brake booster? did you have to replace the whole thing or just a component?
also if i had a front warped rotor wouldnt i feel it on the steering wheel?! when im cruising i feel it drag and let off every time that part on (which ever brake it is) goes around.
frickin brakes...
thanks in advance

Old 11-09-2006, 07:08 PM
3rd Gear Member

you might want to check the condition of the rubber lines that connect the metal brake lines to the calipers. if they are wore out enough to cause them to stretch it could cause problems simular to what you discribed. if not you may have some blockage in the proportioning valve. Sick

Old 11-11-2006, 02:09 AM
2nd Gear member

about the blockage in the proportioning valve... i opened the brake fluid reservoir and i saw a liquid that reminds me of miso soup. that cant be good... oh well im taking it back in tomorrow first thing, but thanks for the info guys..
miso soup hahaha

Old 11-15-2006, 03:19 AM
2nd Gear member

Looks like you haven't changed that fluid in quite a while. Doesn't look dirty, but it does seem to be oversaturated. You would do well to replace your brake lines, as they are likely to be somewhat corroded. Have someone check that with a hygrometer, if you've still got it, if the fluid contains 6% or more water by volume, you're probably looking at water in the lines, and it's likely rusted something up a bit. Change your brake fluid every two or three years and you can ussually avoid this ever happening.

Err, sorry, but I'm tired, and slightly drunk (I just killed the better part of a Sam Adams Winter Variety Pack) That IS Miso, isn't it? All of what I said still applies, but I didn't look at the picture too long.

Old 11-15-2006, 05:10 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Hahah, I was about to say that is the soup. My El Camino did the same thing, the brakes worked fine when I bought it but a few days later I had about an inch of resistance on the pedal and they would lock up no matter how slow I would go. I bled them and It didn't change though.

Old 11-17-2006, 12:39 AM
2nd Gear member

Has anyone checked the rear brake adjustment. sounds to me like they may be abit to tight, also, what year car are we dealing with, is it non ABS or ABS?

Old 11-18-2006, 01:16 AM
Tech Droid

May want to look at the proportioning valve, if your car uses one. Its puprpose is to reduce line pressure to the rear brakes and prevent them from locking up.

Quick Reply: Brake issues