General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Best Camaro Out of the 3

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2008, 09:54 PM
Default Best Camaro Out of the 3

Hello, I am new to this site, was on another site for a while then decided to switch over because the site I was on only dealt with third generation camaro's and this one deals with them all. So I am looking for a my first camaro at the moment. I am headed off to college next year, this is the main reason I want to buy a camaro. Yes I know many of people will say look for a better car that will give better MPG but i rather ride in style then in some car thats foreign or looks like it came out of a cereal box. I am going to college for classic restoration and custom paint & graphics and would like a decent car that will perform well with style. I have been looking at camaro's for a while now, and I didn't know which one to choose from the 3 that I have limited myself down to. Alright so I didn't know where to post this since I am new, so I figured this will be the best place to post.

1990 Camaro Iroc-Z
- Cheaper then the other cars I was looking at, and friend that works for a customizing shop said this one would be the cheapest to put performance mods in since you can almost put any motor in it. I like the 1990 because of the body style and the interrior look, don't really like any years below or above because the interriors of the third generation camaros don't attract my attention. I do not like 1991-1992 because 1990 was the last year of the Iroc-Z's...

1996 Camaro RS- The main reason I picked this is because I like the body style of this car, I think it has potential too even though most camaro's do haha.

1998+ Camaro SS
- I think they started putting SS on 1998+, but not sure could be 1999+, but I like this because the body style fits my style that I am looking for.

I am looking for the best one out of the 1990, 1996, and 1998+ that would be best fit for customization/performance mods and will be cheaper then the others. Also, with the least problems, I will take performance over cost if I have too. If it cost more for another year to add performance mods or customize, but the stock car had less problems I will want to get that one instead. Obviously most likly the newer years are the ones with the least problems I would think, but like I said, I am new to camaro's. Thanks for everyone who took the time to read my long post haha, please take the time to comment my post and help me out with my decision. So if anyone can post the order of each car that they would buy that would be nice.

Old 05-13-2008, 10:01 PM
Ninja Administrator
Default RE: Best Camaro Out of the 3

if you intend to drop another motor into it the iroc would be the way to go. im not sure but most irocs are 305s i think which were kinda crappy [:-]

i would say go for the ls1 SS because they arent that expensive and there is alot of good aftermarket for them.

Old 05-13-2008, 10:10 PM
2nd Gear member

I agree with Specter. An LS1 SS or Z28 (98+) would probably be your best bet for a balance of performance and reliability, but they can get pretty pricey (probably anywhere from about $8k-$12k for one in good condition, but I haven't checked in a while). If you can't find a good deal on an LS1, and LT1 Z28 would be my next choice (93-97). It doesn't perform quite as well as an LS1, but you can usually pick up a nice LT1 Z28 for under $6k.

I love third gens, but stock they don't really perform very well (but they do still look damn good). If you're planning on doing major modifications (motor/tranny swaps etc) then some type of 3rd gen would probably be your best bet, since swaps are indeed much easier in 3rd gens.

Old 05-13-2008, 10:16 PM

Yeah, I was going for the 1990 Iroc-Z for a while but then gas prices sky rocketed, and I thought my best bet for better MPG is 1996 camaro RS (I think the body style of the RS are different then the Z28's and look a lot nicer in my eyes) or 98+ any model decent enough for performance upgrades. Money Isn't the issue, I would spend what I have too to get a decent car. Lets say I did get the 1990 Iroc-Z, I would buy one without a motor since I will be swapping motors anyways and will save more money since people will sell them cheaper with no motor. As far as the 1998+, I would get that with a motor because, like I said I don't know much about camaros but, I would like to have it running and all and if I wanted to swap the motor I could. Thanks for the posts guys, anyone else have any suggestions, or if you guys have anything to add you are welcome to do so.

I will be on tomorrow because I have school in the morning at 7:45, and have to wake up at 7:00 and it is currently 11:30, so I hope there is more replies heh. Have a nice night everyone.

Old 05-13-2008, 10:27 PM
2nd Gear member

The only exterior differences between the 93-97 Z28's and an RS of the same body style are a factory body kit (front lip, side skirts, and rear skirt... I dunno what you'd really call it, haha, and a rear spoiler), and that can be added on to any 93-97 Z28 without much trouble, as far as I know. Hell, some 93-97 Z28's came with the same factory body kit stock.

But if money really isn't an issue, then I'd definitely go for a 98-02 Z28 or SS.
Ex:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1999-...QQcmdZViewItem

Old 05-13-2008, 10:49 PM

Yeah, It's the body kit that was added to a 1996 RS camaro, but I have had trouble to find the exact body kit. I would not want one different then the actual one on a 96 RS because I think it looks fine as it is. I have looked into body kits for each years that I have chosen, and I saw the stock body kit for the 1996 RS and found out that I would not have to change it over, looked nice the way it came from the factory. As for that 1999 Z28 that you found, that car is actually the exact price range and exact millage that I was hoping to find. I might look more into this car, thanks for the find. Never checked craigslist or ebay yet because I want to see what people opinions are on the cars before I go out and buy one. Price range I was looking for a 1998+ would be under 10,000$, with less than 60,000 miles or 60,000 on the odometer, good thing about these is they cann't be rolled back heh since its digital. Even if there was a way to roll it back, it will be a lot harder then the older ones and people won't waste their time. Price range on a 1996 RS camaro would be 8,000$ or less with the same millage, not sure exactally on the Iroc-Z.

Old 05-13-2008, 11:01 PM
2nd Gear member

From what I'm seeing on Ebay, most lower mileage LS1's are going to run a little more than $10k. That black one I posted was a find. The majority of the ones on Ebay with low mileage are going for anywhere between $10k-$15k. Personally, I'd go with a 6spd[8D].

Old 05-14-2008, 04:00 PM

Yeah, If I can't get a 6 speed for under 10k and under 60,000 on the odometer, then I guess I am buying a 1996 camaro RS... They are probably more in my price range at the time... As of in the future, I want to get a hold of one of those 2009 camaro convertible's orange paint, with the black rally stripes down the middle... I don't think the convertibles will start production until late 2009 or mid 2009 my father said, works for GM...

Old 05-14-2008, 04:36 PM
2nd Gear member

I dunno, I'd rather have an LT1 or LS1 V8 over a 3.8L V6 no matter how good the sixxer looks. I mean, the RS is a great looking car, but... it's a six banger...[&:]

If you buy a V6 because you can't afford a V8 right now then I can understand that, but if you have the money for an LT1 or LS1... get one of those, haha.

Old 05-14-2008, 07:49 PM

Yeah, but I have a limit of 10,000$ right now, If i can I am planning on getting the LT1 or the LS1... but, if I cannot get my hands on one, I am going to buy the 96 RS I guess I don't mind... I will just buy another one in the future for racing and just use the 96 RS for daily driving and cruising. Sound like a good idea?