General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

99 camaro stalls randomly

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2009, 12:07 PM
Default 99 camaro stalls randomly

I have a 99 camaro with a 3800 series V-6 (3.8L) and a 5 speed manual. I'll be driving along and out of nowhere the car just shuts off. No warning lights, no strange sounds, nothing to indicate a problem. The RPMs just drop and all of a sudden i'm coasting. I'll pull over to the side of the road and engine will turn and turn, but will never fire. Then, if I wait about 5 - 10 min, i'll try to start the car again and it will fire right up and everything will be back to normal and I can continue driving. This happens about once a week, and the timing and driving conditions appear completely random. One time it was at 35 mph on a back road in 3rd gear. Next time its at higher RPMs doing about 80 on the highway in 5th gear with the cruise on. Sometime instances have been 40 miles apart, while other times I can drive 500 miles without a problem.

I have had it looked at multiple times and no one can seem to find anything wrong with it. They don't have a clue what the problem could be. I even had someone hook up a scanner and the car isn't throwing any codes at all. Everything is as it should be. Except for the fact that I randomly get stranded every few days.

This is driving me crazy and its almost to the point where i'm afraid to drive it because I never know if i'm going to be stuck somewhere.

SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME!!

Old 08-02-2009, 04:39 PM
1st Gear Member

Kinda sounds like a fuel starvation issue. Have you replaced the fuel filter? What about checking the connectors to the tank fuel pump?

Old 08-02-2009, 07:47 PM
March 2011 ROTM
Technical User
ROTM Winner's Club

check the crank and cam sensor plugs. sounds like one may be loose and may be wiggling around. something like that may not cause the MIL to come on or throw a code. intermittent issues are a pain. check those first, the go on to check fuel pressure. next time it does it, see if the fuel pump turns on when you turn the key. i dont know where either sensor is specifcly on the 3.8, but the crank sensor might be behind the harmonic balancer, and the cam sensor might be on the timing chain cover.

Old 08-02-2009, 08:44 PM

Fuel filter is new within the last 5000 miles. Fuel pump has been checked including wires and connections. The pump does kick on when turning the ignition immediately after the stall. I can hear it every time I turn the key. Crank and Cam sensor plugs have been checked multiple times with no problems found.

You see what I mean. This problem is becoming a nightmare.

Old 08-03-2009, 06:50 PM
March 2011 ROTM
Technical User
ROTM Winner's Club

how long does it not run when it quits? you say you can hear the pump when it quits running. if its possible, verify spark the next time it quits. also, check the fuel pressure on it when it stops running, if possible. theres only 4 things an engine needs to run, and i can garuntee its getting air and compression. you chech engine light works, but doesnt light up when it stalls? when an ecm goes bad, it doesnt show the check engine light. i have the same issue with my '00 hyundai, the ecm went bad somehow while the car was sitting for 2 years

Old 08-04-2009, 02:08 AM

the longest its ever gone without starting after a stall is about 15 min, then it fires back up and works fine. the check engine light has come on before, and for other things, but never comes on before during or after a stall, at least it hasnt so far.

Old 11-02-2023, 01:15 AM

My 99 Camaro does the same thing. I'm getting a lot of different responses. Some say it's the throttle positioning sensor some say it's the mass air flow sensor some say it's something else I came to the conclusion. That's the whole throttle assembly Including the electronic components. Need to be maintained and tested.. It just needs to be redone and cleaned. There is no throttle positioning sensor Either but then there is it's the one that's riveted on there. People are telling me you just might as well. Just replace the whole assembly. I got some mass air flow sensor cleaner and sprayed it all up inside there on the left end of the right and I'll Do a 10 minute test drive. Usually that's the time when it Snap crackling pops and backfires and No response when you put the gas pedal down..i did howrver replace the mass air flow sensor which is on top with the 2 screws. I think either way that we're chasing down the gremlins and in time our little ponys will be a different cars having replaced everything. I will get back to you all after I drive the car tomorrow see if anything has changed

Old 03-29-2024, 01:32 AM

I had a very similar issue with a 1999 S10 Blazer. I replaced the coil, ICM, cam and crank position sensors (I would get codes for one or the other) cleaned throttle body and MAF, MAP, everything I could think of. Turned out I had a loose connection to the PCM. I hit it with some electrical cleaners and applied some dielectric grease to the terminals. Haven’t had any problems in 2 years. Just a thought and shouldn’t cost much before you start throwing parts as I did. Good Luck

Last edited by Godawgs4728; 03-29-2024 at 01:37 AM. Reason: Somehow color changed