General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

99 Camaro ss

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2008, 07:39 PM
Default 99 Camaro ss

I'm having a starting issue w/my '99 Camaro SS. It cranks well but takes anywhere from 2-10 turns on the ignition to get it started. Once started it runs great. No rhyme or reason to the issue either ie sometimes it will start on the first crank and others times it takes several. It seems to start more consistently once it has been running a while, but if I shut it off for 20 minutes or so ithas trouble all over again. I just had it in to a reputable (I think) dealer who replaced the PCM after looking it over pretty well.Tried to pick it up tonight and it is doing the exact same thing it was before I dropped several hundred on the PCM.I have very little mechanical knowledge. Any suggestions out there?

Old 10-02-2008, 07:53 PM
Ninja Administrator
Default RE: 99 Camaro ss

is the car modified?

Old 10-02-2008, 08:09 PM

It's basically bone stock. Has loudmouth II exhaust, skip shift override, and right at 82000 miles. Dealer is saying it is a spark issue. Fuel pressure is good. Just before it started happeningI ran it pretty low on gas but not completely out. Before I took it to the dealer I added a bottle of Lucas fuel injector cleaner just in case I got some bad gas, dirty injectors, etc but it hasn't helped and I'm on the same tank of gas.

Old 10-05-2008, 12:38 AM
Overdrive Member

when was the last time you had the spark plugs/wires changed ? what about fuel filter ? is the engine turning over at all ?