General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

97 z28 engine harness

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2014, 03:34 PM
Default 97 z28 engine harness

Looking to find a 96-97 used harness in good condition. I put my new motor on but a meathead put the old harness on it. I would have inspected it and just got a new one. Having a ton of ground problems, bad connectors, exposed wiring. Looking for one or someone who can point me in the right direction. I know painless will make one, but I'd rather not spend that much unless I have to. Thanks for any help

Old 06-29-2014, 07:02 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

You can try on ebay but in most cases the cost of removing a wiring harness without damaging it is to much for the junk yard and as a general rule well kept low miles engines sell as complete unit. So to find a good one you are looking for someone that thought they where putting a motor back in but ended up parting out the car for those years. It is possible but you are really going to have to search. Besides ebay I would set up a bunch of craig list search and also some of the bigger Lt1 forums.

I have two harnesses for my 93 I spent several hour making one good one from the 2 and I still have to buy some of the connectors. Solder and shrink wrap is not a perfect repair but it should last a good 10 years.

Last edited by Gorn; 06-29-2014 at 07:06 AM.
Old 06-30-2014, 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by Gorn
You can try on ebay but in most cases the cost of removing a wiring harness without damaging it is to much for the junk yard and as a general rule well kept low miles engines sell as complete unit. So to find a good one you are looking for someone that thought they where putting a motor back in but ended up parting out the car for those years. It is possible but you are really going to have to search. Besides ebay I would set up a bunch of craig list search and also some of the bigger Lt1 forums.

I have two harnesses for my 93 I spent several hour making one good one from the 2 and I still have to buy some of the connectors. Solder and shrink wrap is not a perfect repair but it should last a good 10 years.

Yeah I've been looking everywhere. I found a guy in Texas I think. Hotwires. He said he'll do it for $400. Brand new everything. I've looked on a ton of forums, they're either sold or for the v6. I put a new engine and tranny in. The guy at the shop thought he'd help by plugging the harness all in. It is ridiculously brittle. I never would have put it in. Sick of replacing connector ends. Low voltage signals everywhere. New maf, new tps, crank sensor, iac, icm lol the list goes on. Car flys though. 3000stahl converter, cai, headers back. Just ported the stock heads and did the 1.6 rockers. Electrical stuff kills me