General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

95 z28 ran fine, died wont restart

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 12:01 AM
In the Staging Lanes
Default 95 z28 ran fine, died wont restart

I am so lost, i need help! I have a 1995 z28, i was driving the other night, car was running amazing like always, and then suddenly died, with no warning, and no bad running, just died, like i flipped a light switch!, It would not restart and i had to have the z towed home! I can hear the fuel pump turning on, im pretty sure ive lost spark! I have a new msd opti that only has like 15k on it, with msd wires and ngk plugs! With this in my mind, today i replaced the coil, and the ignition control module and still nothing, just cranks over! The car wasnt misfiring or anything previous to this, ran like a champ! I dont know if ive blown a ignition fuse or what, ive checked, but im not sure if there is a relay for the ignition! I have one last thing to try tommorow before i give up! while changing my coil, i noticed the pigtail plugging into the coil had melted wires that had fused together, so my best guess is this cause a short! Im replacing the pig tail tommorrow and crossing my fingers! PLEASE SOMONE HELP, THROW OUT SOME SUGGESTIONS! I HOPE I DONT HAVE TO REPLACE OPTI THIS SOON AFTER ONLY 15K ON MSD OPTI

Old 01-26-2010, 12:04 AM
In the Staging Lanes

also for the past couple of weeks, ive had to crank my car to start it, im just assuming this is due to bad weather, because when car is warm it fires right up

Old 01-26-2010, 05:16 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

did u get the pigtail fixed? did it help. so it was acting up a little before it died? very well could be the opti have u had it scanned for trouble codes?

Old 01-26-2010, 08:19 AM
Tech Droid

Additionally:
Have you checked for spark while cranking engine?
Have you checked fuel pressure with a pressure gage? Just because the pump makes noise, does not mean it is working properly.
Check the fuel injection fuses.

Old 01-26-2010, 08:43 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

theres also an ignition fuse in the power box under the hood, check it. also git the test light out and check to see if your getting power to the ignition fuse reciever. the injector fuses are in the power box to. clean the key and see if that does anything. theres vats pods on the key that somtimes get dirty and dont get a good connection.

Old 01-26-2010, 11:44 AM
In the Staging Lanes

no check engine light, so im assuming no codes...and no, it ran perfect all the way up untill the split second it died..it was wierd, no backfire, no missing out...i was cruising at 45 and then it was like somone just snapped their fingers and my car died..wouldnt restart...thats why im not thinking opti or fuel pump because both of those would give you some kind of problem or hesitation before hand...im on the way to get my new pigtail today and check fuses...ive checked the ign fuse on dash, but not under the hood, is it a relay or a fuse? and what other fuses/relays should i check? keep in mind my coil pigtail was melted together so it could have shorted something out?

Old 01-26-2010, 12:22 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Since nobody else asked, I guess I'll have to...is there gas in the tank? Is your gas gauge accurate?

Old 01-26-2010, 12:43 PM
In the Staging Lanes

ya full tank of gas about 20 minutes before this happened....also what is the abrreviations on the fuse box under hood im looking for? i dont seem to remember seeing a ign fuse under hood

Old 01-26-2010, 01:03 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Originally Posted by ryans95z
ya full tank of gas about 20 minutes before this happened....also what is the abrreviations on the fuse box under hood im looking for? i dont seem to remember seeing a ign fuse under hood
Always gotta suspect something with the gas when that happens.
Was the tanker truck filling the tank at the station while you were there?
Some stations by me have diesel fuel at one of the same pumps. Any chance you may have been looking at a hot chick walking by and grabbed the wrong handle (gas pump that is)?
Or some unscrupulous stations could be adding water, antifreeze to the in-ground tanks. If you can start the engine by priming the throttle body, see if you can tap off some gas from the fuel rail or by cracking open the line at the fuel filter. See if the gas looks or smells funky.
Did you fix your melted wires yet?

Old 01-26-2010, 01:17 PM
In the Staging Lanes

well it was a sunoco soo they usually have good gas, BUT, i just went out to my car pulled the ignition fuse under the hood, and sure as **** its blown! put a new fuse in and waiting for somone to get here and jump me, because for some reason my 200$ optima battery just took a **** on me!, so im thinking i just replaced icm and coil for no reason when all i need was a pigtail and fuse...by the way i still havent put the new pigtail on it, so wish me luck when i try to jump it in about 20 minutes!

Quick Reply: 95 z28 ran fine, died wont restart