General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

92 RS v6 Cranks but wont start !!!!!HELP!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2006, 09:19 PM
Default 92 RS v6 Cranks but wont start !!!!!HELP!!!!!

I have a 92 Camaro RS v6. I was drivin on the interstate one day about a year ago and it just died all of a sudden. Didn't make any noises i didnt' even know it was dead until i realized i was getting passed on the right side and couldn't speed up. Have heard it might be the fuel pump but not sure how to check that and i dont have a lot of time to take it to get a computer check unless its going to be a cheap fix. If anyone has any ideas about what it might be and how i could diagnose this problem myself please let me know thanks.

Old 03-02-2006, 10:20 PM
2nd Gear member
Default RE: 92 RS v6 Cranks but wont start !!!!!HELP!!!!!

well its either the fuel pump or another ocmmon problem is the coil. to diagnose the problem, detach your fuel line closest to the throttle bodie as possible. put a cup under the line, and crank the engine. if gas pours into the cup then its not a fuel pump or filter problem.

if its not a fuel problem, check for spark. this takes 2 people. take one spark plug out, whichever one is easiest to take out. after yout ake it out, plug it back into the ignition wire, and rest (ground) the spark plug threads on the exhaust manifold. crank the motor. if the other person doesnt see any spark then you need a new coil most likely, but also the ignition could of crapped out on you, but alot less likely. if it has spark and gas, then there could be a costly problem, but not likely.

Old 03-04-2006, 01:15 PM

ok once i diagnose the problem now would it be easy to fix either of these myself by just buying the parts and installing them myself if i dont know much but can follow directions good or is it a big enough deal that i need to take it to a shop. Also if i take it to a shop how much would it be to put the new fuel pump in if thats what it ends up being. i could do the coil myself

Old 03-04-2006, 02:32 PM
2nd Gear member

both fuel pump, filter, and coils are very easy to fix, you can probably do it yourself in less then an hour. if its the coil, look at the destributor. you will see the wires coming off it going from every spark plug into the top of the destributor. now, look at the middle plug in the desributor. follow that until it reaches to a black box with wires pluging into it. thats your coil. go to autozone adn tell them the year, make and model and they should have it in stock. its a matter of unplugging the coil, taking it out, and replacing it with the new one. very easy.

if its the filter, you have to find out if the filter is closer the throttle body or underneath the car. find the fuel line, and follow it back. the fuel filter will look like either a big cylinder shaped thing or a small one, with two nozzles at each end. get the replacement one from autozone, really cheap, and that will take less then an hour. if it is the fuel pump, that could be more of a costly fix. if it is an in tank fuel pump, which it probably is because mechanicle ones never go bad, then you will have to have it towed to a garage. fuel pumps can cost from 200 to 800 dollars, plus labor. the fuel pump in my fathers yukon cost 750, so be prepared. you can only fix the in tank fuel pump if you have a lift, and a lot of proper tools.

all in all your problem is probably your fuel pump, but keep this in mind, have them change your fuel filter before the pump. that is very important that you tell them that, or they have the ability to screw you horribly. they tried to fix our other yukon by changing the 700 dollar pump, when the problem was only the filter. make sure you have them change the filter first.