General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

9176 Vettaro

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2009, 05:10 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Just an update. I bought the following and will need your help along the way.

1976 L82 350
1976 Super T10 4 Speed
1976 Corvette Differential
1976 Corvette exhaust
1976 Corvette Brakes

I am doing a total Monster Garage makeover on my Camaro and transforming it into a 1976 Corvette.

Old 05-23-2009, 08:15 AM
1st Gear Member

So wait, you're completely swapping everything because of minor problems? I could've had that thing running in an hour if you'd have waited until I came through.

Get ready, I hope you've got a good welder on speed dial, you're gonna need him.

Old 05-24-2009, 04:11 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by SSV6
So wait, you're completely swapping everything because of minor problems? I could've had that thing running in an hour if you'd have waited until I came through.

Get ready, I hope you've got a good welder on speed dial, you're gonna need him.
I have wanted a carburated 350 since the day I bought the car and finally found one a year later. I have fixed my 305 but you must admit that it isn't a really good engine. I am still up for you hanging out with me. We can wrench or do whatever the only problem is it is suicidle hot out now. I mean I burnt the Craftsman logo on my hand from picking up one of my wrenches. I am probably going to do the actual swap after the summer. My other car is becoming a money pit at the moment as well though so I want to sell that so I have more money towards my project. I got the stuff because I waited the guy out and no one else wanted it and I got it for so cheap. I bought everything fro the price he paid for the new clutch and flywheel. I will post pictures soon. I am brining my truck and trailer to the shop with the **** and will pick it up then. I need to get the 350 ready for storage though. Don't I have to lubricate the bearings or something because I probably won't start the actual swap 'till October due to heat.

Old 05-25-2009, 12:33 AM
1st Gear Member

You forget, I'm in Iraq right now, I know the heat you're going through as I'm going through it too. I still wouldn't go as far as you're trying to. I'd probably just throw an older 3rd gen camaro engine in it, or even better, just get an LT1 and put a carb kit on it.

You need to go regularly and turn the crank on that engine to keep it from freezing up.

Last edited by SSV6; 05-25-2009 at 12:50 AM.
Old 05-25-2009, 10:28 AM
In the Staging Lanes

You forget, I'm in Iraq right now, I know the heat you're going through as I'm going through it too. I still wouldn't go as far as you're trying to. I'd probably just throw an older 3rd gen camaro engine in it, or even better, just get an LT1 and put a carb kit on it.

You need to go regularly and turn the crank on that engine to keep it from freezing up.
Well I can't really find any other engines. I have found some LS1's but I don't really want one. I found one LT1 but it has been outside in the mud for years and would need a lot of $$$$ into it. I found this engine and got it for the deal of a century. I think I will just drop it in. I will try the transmission but if I don't get it to work I will just store it away. Even if I just got the engine to work and not the trans I would still be happy. Hey man it is a 1976 L82 you have to admit that is pretty neat.

Old 05-25-2009, 10:32 AM
1st Gear Member

If you get it to work, yeah, it'll be cool, but it still will be outclassed by LS1s and LT1s there's not as much power there as you think. You might get about as much as your 305 just because technology came that far.

Old 05-26-2009, 05:46 AM
In the Staging Lanes

If you get it to work, yeah, it'll be cool, but it still will be outclassed by LS1s and LT1s there's not as much power there as you think. You might get about as much as your 305 just because technology came that far.
I am not really that concerned about horsepower. There are guys over hear with 1,000hp Nissan Patrols so I don't really have a chance anyway. I just want something that is easy to wrok on. I love carbed engines. I suppose if a good deal on a Gen 2 or Gen 3 engine came along I would think about it.

Old 05-26-2009, 06:28 AM
1st Gear Member

aah come on, think like an american here. Its not about outrunning the police, its about what you can get away with without them knowing.

Old 06-01-2009, 01:09 AM

to quote my grandfather "you're opening a can of worms" it would be interesting to see, but your car isn't even meant to be carbourated. Just leave it like it is and restore it. So far I've only seen one camaro there and it was beaten to pieces (of course it seems like no one can drive in Dubai or any other arab city) Keep it looking nice and you might attract the right kind of attention.

Last edited by cplthomas; 06-04-2009 at 09:09 AM.
Old 06-01-2009, 08:42 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by huanic
to quote my grandfather "you're opening a can of worms" it would be interesting to see, but your car isn't even meant to be carbourated. Just leave it like it is and restore it. So far I've only seen one camaro there and it was beaten to pieces (of course it seems like no one can drive in Dubai or any other arab city) Keep it looking nice and you might attract the right kind of attention.
I really like hot rodding cars. Infact I am planning on going to Wyotech next year for the Hot Rod program. I can't leave stuff the way it is. I have wanted a carbed motor since I got the car. I finally found one a year later. Come on guys it is going to be sweet.

Last edited by cplthomas; 06-04-2009 at 09:09 AM.