General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

7 year old motor

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2007, 10:04 PM
Default 7 year old motor

I was wounderin what i should do, should Ijust drain all the oil and replace the gaskets.....?????

Old 12-10-2007, 11:50 PM
2nd Gear member
Default RE: 7 year old motor

gonna need a little more background/ history and what it is your trying to do, please include vehicle and engine type and size kurt

Old 12-11-2007, 08:07 PM

The motor has been sittin for about 7 years. but before it was parked it ran perfectly. Its a chevy 350 out of a chevelle. not sure if its orginal but"alot" of money spent building it.

Old 12-17-2007, 04:59 PM
3rd Gear Member

Unless the engine is seized from sitting, you have many options. Just cold starting it, you risk serious damage from lack of oil.
This is what I would do.
Pull the distributor. You can prime the oil pump by getting an old distributor, pulling out the shaft and using a 1/2" drill, put the shaft into the drill, then putting the shaft down in the hole in the intake, using the drill spin the oil pump so that it fills up the engine internals with the propre amount of oil. First, I would change the oil and use new oil. Then put it back together.

Then it being an older engine, if from a Chevelle, unless change ignition parts it should have a coil. Take the coil wire off and turn the engine over by putting a socket on the crank pully and turning the engine over by hand to circulate the oil through the engine internals. Then for piece of mind, I would leave the coil wire off and turn the engine over by the key a bunch of revolutions to besure theoilhas lubricated everything properly. Then pray that after you start the engine you havent destroyed your rings,rod, main and cam bearings.

Thats how I would do it, as long as I was fimiliar with the engine and trusted whom ever I was buying it from.

Old 12-17-2007, 07:28 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Do not crank the motor over with the old oil in it. When oil sits it will break down and seperate.This will cause a acid film. After 7 year that acid would be pretty intense. As long as its in the pan, no problem

Is the motor out of the car or coming out to go in another car? If you have it out I would replace the seals. 7 years is a long time for the seals and gaskets not to have seen any usage. Most likely they are dried out and arehard. You can change the oil and try it but I would check the oil a lot. You don't want to wax that motor because you pumped all the oil out.