General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

68 conv

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2011, 07:51 AM
Default 68 conv

Hello,

I'm not much good with computers but I need some help.

I am putting a 1994 Camaro 3.4 (L-32) engine and a 4L60E trans into a 1967 MGB. I am useing the complete (except for power door & windows, anti lock, & air bags) Camaro wiring harness removed from the wrecked donor car. The hard part is about done. The engine is in and the car moves, the lights & gauges all work. My problem is, since the MG is much smaller than the Camaro I have a lot of extra wire. I have been told not to cut & splice any wires going to the ECM because that could change the resistance of the wire, thus changing the voltage to the ECM, thus giving the ECM false information. Does anyone know if this is true? I can work it out if it is but I would really like to make it neater than it is now.

Another problem I have is, in the battle to get the engine mounted the oil pressure sender got broken and lost. When I try to buy a new one I am asked,"2 or 3 wire" I have only one wire. I know this is true because I was VERY carefull to mark every wire when I took the harness out. I have trace the wire directly from the sender to the gauges. One brown wire! Can anyone help me find a sender?

The VIN of the donor car is: 2G1FP22S5R2120994

I also own a 1968 plain jane Camaro convertible. 300hp 327, T-5, 2:73/1 posi. I'll post a pic as soon as I figure out how to do it.

Bernie from N-W NE

Old 10-13-2011, 06:30 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Whoever told you not to cut the wiring harness knows what he is talking about but the splice can be done if it is done right. The best way to splice a wire is to solder and shrink wrap each wire. There will be a small chagne is the resistance just based on the shorter wire (I assume your going to shorten it up ). The computer can designed to handle small variation in resistance because it does happen in the normal harness manufacture and aging process. What some people do is use quick connects or something that needs crimped and that is just a problem waiting to happen.

Sounds to me like the 2 or 3 wire sending units they are talking about is the one the fuel pump voltage goes thru the one wire sending unit is for your gage or dumby light. There is a link to the GM Camaro parts manual PDF on this site, i will see if I can find a link.

Edit: I can not seem to find it anyone know where to find the 93-02 GM parts manual PDF?

Last edited by Gorn; 10-13-2011 at 06:35 PM.
Old 10-16-2011, 08:58 PM

Thanks for the reply Gorn.

I understand solder & heat shrink. I never splice wires any other way. I mechaniced snow plow trucks for 15 years, I learned the hard way.

I'm still concerned about giving the ECM erroneous info. The guy who told me not to cut & splice anything going to it is a GM tech. But I have found that sometimes he knows where of he speaks & sometimes not. I would like a 2nd opinion.

I tried posting on the "Ask GM" thread but as yet have no reply. I have plenty of other things to do yet so no hurry.

Thanks agian: Bernie

Old 10-24-2011, 07:34 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

I was a GM Tech and not spicing the wire is GMs policy. I understand that policy more since I was a manufacturing engineer for a connector company. The connectors themselfs are design so no oxygen can get in to the crimp. GM does not trust its techs. A screwed up splice can cause a lot of problems on a warranty car so GM says just replace the harness. I have repaired harness that were not covered under warranty and not had any issues.

Its not magic, if you want to double check yourself then check the resistance of a given wire before and after the splice as long as your within 5% you should be good.

Last edited by Gorn; 10-24-2011 at 07:37 PM.