General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

350 to 455

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2010, 12:35 AM
Default 350 to 455

Alright. I got a 350 in my camaro. I found a 455 that needs to be rebuilt. Im wanting to have 650+ hp. Is there an engine kit that i could find that will be able to handle that kind of power? I dont want to swap, rebuild and then have rods or something go on me because ive got too muh power. Any suggestions? Reasons i should/shouldnt swap for the 455?

Old 01-04-2010, 03:27 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

You want to find a machine shop/Race engine builder and work with him. We used to build 500 HP 383 for our race car and we used a kit and built them ourselfs but we got the kit from the machine shop that went over the block with a fine tooth comb. Every motor was cylinder and line bored, decked and he used to supply the heads to height and headgasket. About 50% of the blocks we brought him did not make the cut due to pour casting or dimensional issues.

I think our motors where about 8K each. We did the build and the valve and port and polish work. I'll bet I have 40 hours in a set of heads between the triple angle valve job and the port and polishing. You not going to find a kit near as cheap as a SBC for a . Last thing you want to do is re-invent something so you need a kit + a shop that will support it.