General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

1st camaro and having problems with it!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2007, 10:05 AM
Default 1st camaro and having problems with it!!

i have a question... this is my first camaro, i dont know much about them... i have a 89 rs with a 305 crate motor in it... im having trouble with it when im driving it sometimes it will staul out on my.. ill be driving down the road and out of the blue it will start stuttering on me and want to die!!! if i rev up the rpms if will be ok for a little bit but will keep on doing it... dont matter if im driving down the road or express way... its pissing me off does anybody have any ideas what it could be??????????

Old 10-06-2007, 10:21 AM
4th Gear Member
Default RE: 1st camaro and having problems with it!!

sounds like a fuel issue... maybe the carb? or injectors?or fuel filter, feul pump

Old 10-06-2007, 01:20 PM
2nd Gear member

[&:] ditto there blue ovl. id suspect a fuel supply problem but will need some checkin to confirm. Smith are you mechanicly inclined?? do you know what your lookin at under the hood?? well need to know if all the original emissions equipment and computer stuff is hooked up or have we gone to a aftermarket carb and distributor?? was this a v6 or v8 car to begin with?? and does it have a mechanical or electric fuel pump?? has anyone checked the fuel filter?? get back with the info kurt

Old 10-08-2007, 08:31 AM

im not that machanically incline but i do know a little bit. i just bought a new fuel filter.. there is a new fuel pump on there already.. it was a v8 to begin with because they use a couple things from the old motor when they put the new motor in.. its fuel injected so if this fuel filter and throttle body cleaner doesnt work i guess i can see if its the fuel injectors???

Old 10-09-2007, 08:09 PM
2nd Gear member

[&:] since its fuel injected it will have a computer, are there any codes?? is the check engine light on?? is it tbi or tpi

Old 10-10-2007, 11:38 AM
Default Fuel problems!!!! it!!

It is TBI and yes the check engine light comes on... the fuel pump and filter are both fine... there are suppost to be 2 clips ontop of the injectors, there is only on but the other sidethe clip is gone and its billy riggedmeaning its just hard wired right to the 2 post that come out the injector where the clipclips onto the injector... do you think thatis whats wrong with it or do you think that it would be the injectors itself.. i just bout a new throttle body injection kit off ebay.... im gonna try that but if thats not it id rather not put that on.. please let me know what youguys think......

[IMG]local://upfiles/10146/54ED703484B14DCDBFE6FDD89DE39411.jpg[/IMG]

Old 10-10-2007, 01:13 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Fuel problems!!!! it!!

ORIGINAL: smithdjr

It is TBI and yes the check engine light comes on... the fuel pump and filter are both fine... there are suppost to be 2 clips ontop of the injectors, there is only on but the other sidethe clip is gone and its billy riggedmeaning its just hard wired right to the 2 post that come out the injector where the clipclips onto the injector... do you think thatis whats wrong with it or do you think that it would be the injectors itself.. i just bout a new throttle body injection kit off ebay.... im gonna try that but if thats not it id rather not put that on.. please let me know what youguys think......

[IMG]local://upfiles/10146/54ED703484B14DCDBFE6FDD89DE39411.jpg[/IMG]
As others mentioned, sounds fuel related from your description.

First, find out why the light is coming on, the code can lead you in the right direction. Lean codes, or a multiude of codes will determine which path to take.

Hard to do on a TBI but get a fuel pressure gauge hooked in and monitor pressure when it stalls out and dies. Should hold in the 12-16 psi range. Having a new pump and filter takes away from it being a fuel pump problem in most cases but I've had new pumps crap right out of the box.

A low amp probe on the power wire to the fuel pump would show how much amps the pump is drawing, if you see the number spike up as it dies, bad pump. Not a common tool for most to have but if you find someone who can do it, it's a easy check of the pumps health. Don't forget the fuel pump relay, easy to swap out with another in the engine bay that has the same stamping number on it.

Easy check, once warmed up and stalls, use a ohm meter and check the reading of both injectors. My memories fuzzy but regardless, if one fails the reading will be much higher, or non existent on the bad one.

Look at the wiring harness. A shorted wire, burned threw, or grounding out when it touches metal can cause the injector driver to shut down, then you'll lose power and stall out. Since yours is fubared on, it sounds suspect. Those wires like to get tangled and touch metal when they go next to the TBI and touch the airhorn that sits under the aircleaner.

You could still have a ECM bad if it's is fuel related and the injector circuit is dropping out. Common thing on GM ECM's to try, once warmed up give it a gentle love tap and see if the car stumbles or dies. Circuit board failures where common in the late 80's GM ECM's.

Good luck

Old 10-11-2007, 09:46 AM
Default RE: Fuel problems!!!! it!!

thanx for the responce... nice cars by the way...