General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

1993 Pontiac trans am

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 07:12 PM
1st Gear Member
Default 1993 Pontiac trans am

Well my boss's son just bought it. He was told to put the highest octane in it, but put in the regular octane and now if runs horribly. He wont even drive it.
She said it bogs and sounds horrible and runs like crap. Would it really be that bad because of the lower octane? I know the compression is higher in the LT1's and they recommend to use higher octane, but I don't know when they started putting in those engines. Is that what he has? Thanks

Old 07-08-2009, 07:19 PM
Overdrive Member

yes,93 was the first year of the lt1 in f-bodies.It is reccomended to use premium 91/93 octane for best performance.

Old 07-08-2009, 07:30 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Saint_Ali
yes,93 was the first year of the lt1 in f-bodies.It is reccomended to use premium 91/93 octane for best performance.
Ok do you think thats the cause of the bogging and knocking along with poor performance? I could see it being less powerful and some loss in gas milage but not that bad. But I'm guess the computer is trying to adjust and causing bad timing?

Old 07-08-2009, 07:30 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

just running regular is not going to make that much difference. i have done it when i could get nothing else and it did not make the car run much difference. a little less umph at wot otherwise the same. i would say using regular made a little problem big. probly need some new spark plugs.

Old 07-08-2009, 07:35 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by craby
just running regular is not going to make that much difference. i have done it when i could get nothing else and it did not make the car run much difference. a little less umph at wot otherwise the same. i would say using regular made a little problem big. probly need some new spark plugs.
ya thats what i told her today was it either needed new plug or fuel filter probably. I then told her it shouldnt need high octane but i was wrong cause it's an lt1 and i didnt know at the time. Its a bit harder talking to her and not her son.

Old 07-08-2009, 07:46 PM
Overdrive Member

well ive used regular before and it has clogged the cat up, yes you can use regular,but should you ? no.

Old 07-08-2009, 07:49 PM
1st Gear Member

Ok so best thing to do would be to siphon the gas and refill with 93? cause its pretty much not drivable from what i understand.

Old 07-08-2009, 07:50 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

yah i dont use it very often. only when i have to.

Old 07-08-2009, 07:55 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

have a look at the plugs. if they look old then change em. the plugs on these are a pita to change so alot of people dont change them until they have to. both 93s ive owned had reallly old plugs in the #8 plug which is the hardest to change. the camaro i have now would not start the plugs were so bad when i bought it. got it home and it would not run the next day. man i was po ed.

Old 07-08-2009, 07:55 PM
Overdrive Member

Originally Posted by Mesosneaky
Ok so best thing to do would be to siphon the gas and refill with 93? cause its pretty much not drivable from what i understand.
well you can drain the gas tank or just burn it off if you can

Quick Reply: 1993 Pontiac trans am