General Racing/Tech General talk about Racing or help setting up your car

wish i had 2nd gear start on

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2007, 10:47 PM
1st Gear Member
Default wish i had 2nd gear start on

I was in my 96 3.8l auto. Camaro on my way home from school the other day. It just got done raining, so the roads were still pretty wet. I was about to make a right turn that actually was just a yield because it had a shute for those making a right turn. So I slow down to a safe speed to take the turn at since the roads were still wet. I just completed about 75% of the turn when Igently put my foot back on the gas to accelerate. As I did this the *** end of the car kicked out to the left. I was surprised by this but it's happened before so I was just going to try to correct it without over correcting it. Well it didn't work and hitting my brakes didn't help much either. I over corrected and my *** end whipped suddenly hard to the right after I turned and it sent me into a 180 spin into the lane going opposite of me. My front end just missing driver side door of a Tahoe by about 6inches. So I basically spun so that I was then heading the opposite way I was and I luckily ended up just sliding out of the lane and on to the shoulder and stopping just before my passenger side tires hit the curb. I'm assuming it was just the low end of the first gear that broke the tires loose causing it to kick sideways. I know it's not my tires because I have some Cooper Cobras with about 70% of tread left on them. Moral of the story if you have a 2nd gear start in yourcar I would recommend using it in both rain and snow.

Old 10-19-2007, 11:14 AM
2nd Gear member
Default RE: wish i had 2nd gear start on

Something kinda like that happened to me in my old 89 Silverado one time. Scary stuff man.

Old 10-19-2007, 11:23 AM
4th Gear Member

thats almost exactly what happened to me while i was driving my dad's hemi, but it had just started raining, and roads were greasy, went to make a left hand turn(had green arrow) into a 4lane road(2 and 2) and im in 4WD, give it some, start to turn, and the truck jus slides out from no where, and i ended up doing a 270.. a 360 from where i started, but truck was almost straight when it started to slide. i corrected myself(obviously not, that well, seing how i did a 360, but i still had control somewhat) enough to miss a brand new beamer by 3inches, lol. had i not been in 4WD(instead of braking, i slammed gas as soon as it started to slide) i woulda prolly end up hitting him, and doing more than a 360.

it was wierd, all happened in slow motion, i remember seeing BMW guy's face, he was in shock,and remember looking behind me to see if i hit him, also remember correcting myself and all

damn, having a couple go karts when i was younger(17 atm, bday was oct16 lol) sure paid off

Old 10-19-2007, 01:26 PM
4th Gear Member

I doubt it downshifted to first unless you were either going 5-10mph OR you gave it more gas than "gently" hitting the throttle...

auto's really don't use 1st gear unless your taking off from a stop or floor it going quite slow

Old 10-19-2007, 01:41 PM
Ninja Administrator

that is pretty much the exact reason im in an fbody now [8D]

Old 10-20-2007, 01:10 PM
1st Gear Member

i took the turn at 7mph tops because i remember riding the brake all the way down a hill right before the turn. im not one to screw around in the rain (on roads) especially after i kicked my back end out about 90 degrees after making a left out of shopping center about 5 months back in the rain. luckily no cars were coming in the lane i was pulling out next too other wise they would have smashed the driver side quarter and prob part of the dr door.too scary ****! now i know why most parents don't let their kids ger rwd sports cars!!! but in a wet parking lot late at night it's a blast even in my 6 banger!!!

Old 10-20-2007, 02:05 PM
4th Gear Member

Yea I was just wondering. I always find it wierd how people loose control just 'daily' driving or what not.

I've never spun out or lost control in my F-bodies (V6 or LT1)

I would get some better tires if i were you

Old 10-20-2007, 03:16 PM
4th Gear Member

my dad's truck, i think, it a really oilly spot or something.whats funny is i hear bout people loosing control all the time in rain. also, even though u were only doing 7mph, u may have turned to sharp? while giving a lil gas?

Old 10-21-2007, 08:36 PM
2nd Gear member

i love the rain. it was raining for a few days a while ago, and i went for a ride and did some donuts in a parking lot. i started in 1st, after 4 turns, shifted (while still spinning) the *** end kicked out sooo hard. it was sweet. i made it into 3rd gear spinning the tires at 65 mph.i was doing 2 donuts a second. i may be exagerating, but it was awsome. my friend was being pushed against the door like a spinning ride at the ammusment park. after about 2 minutes of that i left, went down a road and came by the parking lot a different way on my way home 1/2 a mile past the lot, i passed a cop who went down there to check it out. 10 more seconds down there i would have been busted. the law here on burnouts is, its 200 dollars a foot of visible rubber. i would have been paying up to 30 grand. so ill goto a different lot next time.
[sm=gears.gif]

Old 10-21-2007, 09:05 PM
4th Gear Member

hah. yea. my camaro was awesome in rain. from a red light i could smoke em up to bout 60MPH. dayum. thats a ****ty law. hah. u woulda been brokeded.dont worry. i woulda bought ur car... for 500 . what?!? itll help pay bill!

Quick Reply: wish i had 2nd gear start on