General Racing/Tech General talk about Racing or help setting up your car

When to add 2nd Gen. Sub Frame Connectors?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2007, 06:20 PM
Default When to add 2nd Gen. Sub Frame Connectors?

Any of you guys know how much abuse the stock body of a 2nd Gen Camaro can take before sub frame connectors are needed?
I am currently in the process of building a 400 sbc with built Turbo 350 tranny to drop into my 79 Camaro.
My engine buildup will consist of the following:
Edelbrock Performer Alum. Intake
300 HP cast iron heads
12 to 1 Dome Top pistons with 5.7 Rods
Edelbrock 750 CFM Carb
Hooker long tube headers

Since I am just assuming since my Vin. shows my ride to be the Sport Coupe version, that its going to probably have very high factory gear ratio-most likely something like 3.08's or higher. I may end up dropping in a 2500 RPM Stall also in hopes this will help me launch a little quicker with these high gears.

I am just trying to determine if I need to go ahead and do the sub frame connectors now while I am in the process of building this car.
I am also planning on finding a Z28 rear axle or an early 70's rear axle with at least 3.48's or lower for the long haul.

Any advice on how to set up my car is always appreciated.

Jim C.

Old 01-04-2007, 07:09 PM
Tech Droid
Default RE: When to add 2nd Gen. Sub Frame Connectors?

Go ahead and put them in, those old carsflex a loteven in stock condition. When pushed they tend to stress the roof and create cracks near the top rearof the side window.

Old 01-04-2007, 07:10 PM
May 2007 ROTM

It would be a good idia to put some in if you want to launch it. He's right about the cracks,and good luck opening the door to get out of the car.

Old 01-05-2007, 11:35 AM

OK, thats what I was wanting to know. I'll go ahead and plan to install them before I start putting it on the strip.

Got another question. Which would be the better car for the 400 sbc engine I plan to use.
2nd Gen. Hard Top Camaro-1979 model.
3rd Gen. Hard Top Camaro-1985 model.

I have both. Due to talking with guys locally running the 3rd Gen Camaro's, I am thinking the 2nd Gen Camaro will be a much stronger setup than the 3rd. Gen., plus much easier to set up with a strong rear axle and lower gears due to the width of the car. I know it will weigh more than the 3rd Gen. car, but I have saw much structural damage and many rear end problemsto the 3rd Gen cars with high torque motors.

Now that it seems I will need sub frame connectors before running either of these cars on the strip, I am just wondering what everyone else with some Camaro racing experience would do if they were in my shoes?

Old 01-05-2007, 11:40 AM
3rd Gear Member

I like the 2nd gens better for drag racing. It was closer to the muscle car era. I went with Competition Engineering subframe connectors.

Old 01-05-2007, 01:33 PM
May 2007 ROTM

I would go with the with the 2nd also.Are you going to put a fiberglass hood on it as well?

Old 01-05-2007, 08:18 PM

Dont know on the hood yet. Thought I would see what it does first with my engine/tranny and then see if I want to start replacing the steel with fiberglass. I got a strong feeling that I will be looking for a better rear axle with limited slip and lower gears beforeI need to worry about lightening the bodythough.
I am also going to try and keep the car streetable for Sunday afternoon drives in the country.........

Old 01-05-2007, 08:24 PM

Would installing a cage in the car along with the sub frame connectors keep all these badthings from happening? I would like to keep this car from coming apart cause I want to keep it street friendly also and make it nice to look at too.

ORIGINAL: z28pete

Go ahead and put them in, those old carsflex a loteven in stock condition. When pushed they tend to stress the roof and create cracks near the top rearof the side window.

Old 01-05-2007, 10:49 PM
May 2007 ROTM

That would help out a lot,but do you want all that weight?

Old 01-07-2007, 01:41 PM
3rd Gear Member

For the horespower you're having... you really don't "NEED" subframe connectors. But with additional upgrades coming that's all I would recomend. We've worked on a 78 Camaro with a Pontiac 455 in it and it's pusing out 400hp and it's running only on subframe connectors. The paint doesn't have any signs of stress.

Quick Reply: When to add 2nd Gen. Sub Frame Connectors?