General Racing/Tech General talk about Racing or help setting up your car

Take off

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2006, 12:28 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Take off

Well I was just trying to get a better take off with my 5spd. I havnt ever been all to good at it. I dont know if i should roll my tires or not. Should i drag out the clutch longer or drop it and let the tires roll?

Old 09-26-2006, 01:31 PM
Tech Droid
Default RE: Take off

Don't drop the clutch, you are going to break parts. All you want is a little wheel spin to keep the engine from bogging off the line. You need to practice and get your feet in sync. Get off the clutch quickly, with minimum clutch slip, and at the same time apply enough throttle to get the wheels to spin slightly. You don't want to overwhelm your tires and create a lot of useless smoke, and you don't want to slip your clutch excessively as it will burn out. Practice, practice. Driving a stick properly takes time.

Old 09-27-2006, 01:00 AM
3rd Gear Member
Default RE: Take off

A lot of it has to do with Your tires. I've found that Radials will work better most of the time with a little more air than a bias tire. To launch with a standard trans is a tricky deal at best on a street type tire. You have to find that sweet spot between a bog and a spin. It takes practice and sometimes You'll go through a set of tires learning but You'll Get it.