General Racing/Tech General talk about Racing or help setting up your car

quick question

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2009, 06:00 PM
1st Gear Member
Default quick question

any idea how the 3.8 stands up against the new mustang v6? it's a 4.0 isn't it? just wondering, i have a guy who wants to run his 05 mustang against my 3.8. i'm doing it anyway, but i wanted to know if anyone with a 3.8 had any experience with a new mustang.

Old 02-16-2009, 06:45 PM
2nd Gear member

is your 3.8 modded? is the mustang modded? if there both stock i think the mustang will win IMO

Old 02-16-2009, 08:47 PM
In the Staging Lanes

actually if both are stock it could be a close race. the 3.8 has 200 horses and 225lbs of torque. The mustang's 4.0 engine has 210 horses and 215 torque. I do not know this for sure but i believe the camaro is lighter too.

Old 02-16-2009, 09:36 PM
3rd Gear Member

The new Mustang V6 usually runs low 15s, with a great driver it may be able to do a high 14 with perfect conditions (stock). The Camaro could do about 15.7 when it was new, or if it had a Y87 package would run low 15s. With Y87 its a drivers race with a slight advantage to the mustang. Without Y87 the mustang should win, but the camaro could easily win if it had a Superior driver.

Old 02-16-2009, 09:55 PM
VIP member

if the camaro driver was me, it would win

since its not, the mustang has the upper hand

Old 02-17-2009, 08:59 AM
1st Gear Member

they're both stock, i just have a flowmaster with no converter. mine is a 5 spd, and his is automatic. my 3.8 has 212xxx miles, but is still in great condition (i don't know how). i've outran all the other 3.8 camaros i've raced in my area, automatic or manual, and some of them were modded and many with very low miles. so it's safe to say that i'm a pretty good driver i guess (not boasting, just saying i know how to drive it when racing).

or maybe my car has some secret mod i didn't know about when i bought it....i wish. anyway, i'll let you guys know how it goes. i have crappy tires right now, so i'll have to launch it just right, or get him to go from a roll.

Old 02-17-2009, 02:59 PM
DeZ
1st Gear Member

..why would people even race or better yet buy a auto? thats something ill never figure out. but the stang should take you, not like haha hey, bye, but i wouldnt race the maro with that many miles your asking to be made a fool out of when that mother blows.

"if the camaro driver was me, it would win"

^hes determined to win by actually *** whippin or a flyby.

Old 02-17-2009, 04:47 PM
Overdrive Member

Originally Posted by DeZ
..why would people even race or better yet buy a auto? thats something ill never figure out. but the stang should take you, not like haha hey, bye, but i wouldnt race the maro with that many miles your asking to be made a fool out of when that mother blows.

You don't pay attention to professional Drag racing much do you? A decent auto with a reasonable stall will walk all over manuals all day at a track. An auto is much more consistent, and I highly doubt you can shift as fast as my auto. Manual transmissions impress high schoolers, autos win drag races. Auto-x and rally-x are different animals, but I don't think that's what we're talking about here.

Old 02-18-2009, 10:34 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by DeZ

i'm not the "******bag with a sports car" type who races just to show off, i just find it fun. i don't even race my car that much. people who say it's stupid and dangerous are absolutely right, but something just makes me keep doing it. as for my camaro; the mileage may say otherwise, but she's not over the hill yet, actually, she's nowhere close. i honestly don't know the history of the car, so maybe it had an engine replacement before i bought it. but i do know that i can pull up beside an '02 3.8 and mine runs just as smooth.

anyway, just to let you guys know, we ran 3 races, and they were as close as they get. first one was from a stop, 2nd from a 20 roll, and 3rd from a 45 roll. i couldn't launch as good as i would've liked from a stop because of the tires, so most of 1st gear had some bad wheel spin. when i hit 2nd gear he had a pretty good lead on me, but by the end of 3rd gear we were even, and we stayed even the rest of the race. he claimed it was a tie, but i went ahead and gave the win to him, i know he edged me just a little. from a 20 roll, it was definitely my race, i beat him by half a car. and from a 45 roll, it was about the same.

those races were as fun as they get for me, especially the first one. apparently my baby still has some life left in her. after the race i showed him how many miles i had, should've seen the guy's face lol.

Old 02-18-2009, 10:34 AM
NOOO they be stealin' my bucket
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by DeZ

We need to put a no AUTO BASHING RULE in place.

strait drives impress high school kids and ricers, automatics win races take your pick.

Quick Reply: quick question