Camaro Forums - Chevy Camaro Enthusiast Forum

Camaro Forums - Chevy Camaro Enthusiast Forum (https://camaroforums.com/forum/)
-   General Racing/Tech (https://camaroforums.com/forum/general-racing-tech-88/)
-   -   quick question (https://camaroforums.com/forum/general-racing-tech-88/quick-question-35709/)

buddywackos 02-16-2009 06:00 PM

quick question

any idea how the 3.8 stands up against the new mustang v6? it's a 4.0 isn't it? just wondering, i have a guy who wants to run his 05 mustang against my 3.8. i'm doing it anyway, but i wanted to know if anyone with a 3.8 had any experience with a new mustang.

BLACKJACK 02-16-2009 06:45 PM

is your 3.8 modded? is the mustang modded? if there both stock i think the mustang will win IMO

IROCNeeveeZ28 02-16-2009 08:47 PM

actually if both are stock it could be a close race. the 3.8 has 200 horses and 225lbs of torque. The mustang's 4.0 engine has 210 horses and 215 torque. I do not know this for sure but i believe the camaro is lighter too.

TheStig 02-16-2009 09:36 PM

The new Mustang V6 usually runs low 15s, with a great driver it may be able to do a high 14 with perfect conditions (stock). The Camaro could do about 15.7 when it was new, or if it had a Y87 package would run low 15s. With Y87 its a drivers race with a slight advantage to the mustang. Without Y87 the mustang should win, but the camaro could easily win if it had a Superior driver.

camaro_burns_all 02-16-2009 09:55 PM

if the camaro driver was me, it would win

since its not, the mustang has the upper hand

buddywackos 02-17-2009 08:59 AM

they're both stock, i just have a flowmaster with no converter. mine is a 5 spd, and his is automatic. my 3.8 has 212xxx miles, but is still in great condition (i don't know how). i've outran all the other 3.8 camaros i've raced in my area, automatic or manual, and some of them were modded and many with very low miles. so it's safe to say that i'm a pretty good driver i guess (not boasting, just saying i know how to drive it when racing).

or maybe my car has some secret mod i didn't know about when i bought it....i wish. anyway, i'll let you guys know how it goes. i have crappy tires right now, so i'll have to launch it just right, or get him to go from a roll.

DeZ 02-17-2009 02:59 PM

..why would people even race or better yet buy a auto? thats something ill never figure out. but the stang should take you, not like haha hey, bye, but i wouldnt race the maro with that many miles your asking to be made a fool out of when that mother blows.

"if the camaro driver was me, it would win"

^hes determined to win by actually *** whippin or a flyby.

95slvrZ28 02-17-2009 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by DeZ (Post 291023)
..why would people even race or better yet buy a auto? thats something ill never figure out. but the stang should take you, not like haha hey, bye, but i wouldnt race the maro with that many miles your asking to be made a fool out of when that mother blows.

You don't pay attention to professional Drag racing much do you? A decent auto with a reasonable stall will walk all over manuals all day at a track. An auto is much more consistent, and I highly doubt you can shift as fast as my auto. Manual transmissions impress high schoolers, autos win drag races. Auto-x and rally-x are different animals, but I don't think that's what we're talking about here.

buddywackos 02-18-2009 10:34 AM

i'm not the "******bag with a sports car" type who races just to show off, i just find it fun. i don't even race my car that much. people who say it's stupid and dangerous are absolutely right, but something just makes me keep doing it. as for my camaro; the mileage may say otherwise, but she's not over the hill yet, actually, she's nowhere close. i honestly don't know the history of the car, so maybe it had an engine replacement before i bought it. but i do know that i can pull up beside an '02 3.8 and mine runs just as smooth.

anyway, just to let you guys know, we ran 3 races, and they were as close as they get. first one was from a stop, 2nd from a 20 roll, and 3rd from a 45 roll. i couldn't launch as good as i would've liked from a stop because of the tires, so most of 1st gear had some bad wheel spin. when i hit 2nd gear he had a pretty good lead on me, but by the end of 3rd gear we were even, and we stayed even the rest of the race. he claimed it was a tie, but i went ahead and gave the win to him, i know he edged me just a little. from a 20 roll, it was definitely my race, i beat him by half a car. and from a 45 roll, it was about the same.

those races were as fun as they get for me, especially the first one. apparently my baby still has some life left in her. after the race i showed him how many miles i had, should've seen the guy's face lol.

cbr600rx7 02-18-2009 10:34 AM

We need to put a no AUTO BASHING RULE in place.

strait drives impress high school kids and ricers, automatics win races take your pick.

torque_is_good 02-19-2009 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by cbr600rx7 (Post 291493)
We need to put a no AUTO BASHING RULE in place.

strait drives impress high school kids and ricers, automatics win races take your pick.

Why?

Some of us have been driving manual trannies for 30 years and as long as the good Lord is willing, and keeps both legs good, will drive them until we die.

I own both types of vehicles, manny tranny Mustang and auto Z28. I do not race any more (strip). If I was going to bracket race, then an auto would be in order. For day to day driving, I prefer "driving" a manual as opposed to "riding" in the automatic. But, I enjoy both cars.

cbr600rx7 02-19-2009 12:15 PM

I see this more and more. For some reason people get the idea that automatics are slow. I get it all the freaking time. "Nice car" "oh its a auto" like its a waste of a car. Now i dont mind a good strait drive so dont get me wrong. Both my trucks and my MSP are all straits. But on the track the auto is extremely consistent mix that in with a good stall or even a good trans brake and it will go toe to toe with any "driver" in any T56 car.

73camaroSS 02-19-2009 01:58 PM

i know what you mean when im out driving the 73 which is every day,people walk up to it and say wow nice car ohh its a auto,thats to bad.
or they they say posi and i say no one leger,thats to bad.or auto on the tree huh thats rare. Thats not a real SS it dosent have a wing and its not a 4spd. what does that have to do with it being a SS.there is just some really stupid people out there that cant think out side of the box cuase there stuck whatching the ricer moives and playing NFSD.

Y2K 02-20-2009 12:20 PM

Auto all day long for drag racing and a stick for road racing,by the way that Mustang is a 5 speed auto with a good low first gear and traction control,he'll spank you out of the hole if he knows how to drive.;)
My wife has an '05 Mustang V-6/auto,it romps off the line!
I've driven it enough to know I could pull a better hole shot with it than in my Z28 LT1/auto.

95slvrZ28 02-20-2009 01:19 PM

I know a lot of people who dissed autos and thought they were slow...then I let them ride in my car and they stop...funny how that works. Autos are better for drag racing, especially if you have a stall that fits your build. An auto Camaro with a stall will take a T56 all day long, but for some reason people don't seem to grasp that. On the other hand, if we were going auto-x I would prefer the manual since you rarely get out of 2nd or 3rd.

outta_control_z28 02-20-2009 01:37 PM

theres no one n this forum that can shift as fast and hold the power like a auto tranny autos are consistently pulling 5 speed u must let off the gas to shift ..... im not knocking 5 speeds cause i own one but i also have a auto the both have there ups and downs but autos are better for racing hands down and plus if you have over 500 hp and you are hammering on your ride and miss a gear its over rev time and probably braking something

cbr600rx7 02-21-2009 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by Y2K (Post 292293)
Auto all day long for drag racing and a stick for road racing,by the way that Mustang is a 5 speed auto with a good low first gear and traction control,he'll spank you out of the hole if he knows how to drive.;)
My wife has an '05 Mustang V-6/auto,it romps off the line!
I've driven it enough to know I could pull a better hole shot with it than in my Z28 LT1/auto.

Um you know the car should be slower with traction control on it limits the full power of the car so you don't brake traction. Not a good thing when your trying to get up and move. Lt1 cars are very strong out of the hole even stock producing way more HP then a 4.0 and close to 80 more torque a lot lower in the power band. That is wear the LT1's strong point is in fact (LOW END TORQUE) The LT1 should cut a much better time then the 4.0

4.0 stang 0-60 in 6.9 seconds and 15.3 in the 1/4
LT1 auto 0-60 in 5.7 seconds and 14.1 in the 1/4

The stang might be able to pull a little better time but not 1.2 second in both the 0-60 and. Keep in mind the numbers above are for automatic LT1 Z28 cars. A higher modle T56 could probably cut a little better 0-60 as long as she had good traction.

robmnrd 02-21-2009 03:56 PM

How the F did you get 15.3 for ANY fourth gen Z28? O_o That one is confusing the crap out of me. I hope you just got the 4.0 and the lt1's quarter mile times swapped in your post...

cbr600rx7 02-21-2009 11:01 PM

You hit it right on the head. Good looking out. FIXED

aleksandr 02-22-2009 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by buddywackos (Post 291492)
anyway, just to let you guys know, we ran 3 races, and they were as close as they get. first one was from a stop, 2nd from a 20 roll, and 3rd from a 45 roll. i couldn't launch as good as i would've liked from a stop because of the tires, so most of 1st gear had some bad wheel spin. when i hit 2nd gear he had a pretty good lead on me, but by the end of 3rd gear we were even, and we stayed even the rest of the race. he claimed it was a tie, but i went ahead and gave the win to him, i know he edged me just a little. from a 20 roll, it was definitely my race, i beat him by half a car. and from a 45 roll, it was about the same.

those races were as fun as they get for me, especially the first one. apparently my baby still has some life left in her. after the race i showed him how many miles i had, should've seen the guy's face lol.

Good driving man.

outta_control_z28 02-22-2009 06:15 PM

HELL YEA BRO !!! Now thats how us bowtie guys do it !! sounds like fun

whammer3024 02-23-2009 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by torque_is_good (Post 291859)
Why?

Some of us have been driving manual trannies for 30 years and as long as the good Lord is willing, and keeps both legs good, will drive them until we die.

I own both types of vehicles, manny tranny Mustang and auto Z28. I do not race any more (strip). If I was going to bracket race, then an auto would be in order. For day to day driving, I prefer "driving" a manual as opposed to "riding" in the automatic. But, I enjoy both cars.

i think you missed the point. he was saying people that bash autos for being slow are morons. he wasn't saying anything bad about manuals. i drive a manual pickup everyday and i actually enjoy it. my camaro is auto though and i get tired of people thinking i don't know how to drive because i have an auto