General Racing/Tech General talk about Racing or help setting up your car

power braking burnouts...

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2009 | 02:48 PM
|
Exclamation power braking burnouts...

hi i have a 95 camaro z28 with a lt1 engine with over 164XXX miles on it; 6 speed. this might sound funny when i ask this but it's because i dont no much about lt1 engines... i pound on my car alot but i have never powerbraked a burnout and i want to and get it on video.. my dad said that if i do that then it puts alot of strain on the drivetrain... if i powerbrake it and hold it at around 4000 RPMs will anything on my car break/ blow? i defenitly dont want to blow the engine or tranny

Old 05-04-2009 | 03:18 PM
Dominos Puck
New Formula! Now with 10% more Win!

It's rough on it to do that, and not just on your brake pads and tires. The engine is winding up and there isn't much air moving through the radiator so everything heats up. When you are normally driving your car, accelerating and rolling, the car's engine is working to overcome inertia and air resistance - it is under load. But when you are burning out, the engine is winding up and the rear wheels are freely spinning, which puts a different kind of load on all of the internal parts. The engine, tranny, and gears aren't really built to withstand a whole lot of this. I guess a stupid analogy could be comparing a bicycle with a chain on it to one without a chain. If you take the chain off and start pedaling, it's very easy to get your legs spinning and you'll probably start to wobble around and your feet will fly off the pedals. Could be comparable to how drivetrain components "fly apart" internally during a burnout I suppose.

But hey, it's a muscle car, and you only live once. Do it dude. If it's that high mileage, you wouldn't be destroying a mint new car. But be prepared to face the consequences if something goes wrong, and something could depending on how hard you press it. If it's a hot rod and hobby - go for it. If it's your daily driver to get to school/work - think twice.

Last edited by Puck90a; 05-04-2009 at 03:20 PM.
Old 05-04-2009 | 03:34 PM
2nd Gear member

Haha yup.. perfectly explained. Puts wear on your drivetrain, brakes/brake pads and tires. But burnouts are fun to do sometime so might as well pull at least one off. Don't hold it too long though, the longer you go the more chance she blows. Haha man that sounds like some kind of dirty **** saying.

Old 05-04-2009 | 07:10 PM
2nd Gear member

Just watch for a little smoke, and once you can clearly see it start to let off the brake. You'll get a nice long trail behind you. Don't worry about doing a jon force style burnout, it just makes it harder to see the car.

Old 05-05-2009 | 02:07 AM
2nd Gear member

na burnouts are good on a car my 73 loves them lol,ive melted my share of tires, but dont hold it to long you dont want to over heat the car. and dont make it a normal thing to try this cuase you will only be pulling on the lions tail and the loin dont like its tail pulled lol.

Old 05-05-2009 | 08:03 AM

Put a linelock in it......my favorite

Old 05-07-2009 | 04:36 AM
NOOO they be stealin' my bucket
ROTM Winner's Club

Get a line lock both SLP and hurst make them for cheap and they will pay for them selfs the first time you have to replace your rotors and pads on the back.

Old 05-07-2009 | 03:16 PM
3rd Gear Member

you cant hold a line lock more then lik 10 seconds though or maybe 30 i forget. and it may be difficult to power brake a 6 speed. i never was able to also your gonna be puttin alot of stress on the clutch

Old 05-07-2009 | 07:28 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

make sure u got room if the front tires dont grab she ll skid and go. once u get the back wheels spinning touch the brakes just a enuough to stop or move real slow. dont hold the rpms at one speed work the peddle and bring the r's up to 4 or 5 then let off to 2 or 3. u wont be looking at the tach though. if u got posi shell go a little sideways. dont get to carried away. u can toast a set of tires real fast.

Last edited by craby; 05-07-2009 at 07:30 PM.
Old 05-08-2009 | 07:15 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Hey so just wonderin how bad it is for my car (2000 V6 71,xxx miles & posi) to do a burnout. I have only done it once and it was actually my dad that did it. But he put it into first ( it's an auto ) and held the brake and gas for a second then powered out. Left a 5 foot mark. Actually found out my car had posi because of this LOL. But ya how bad is this l for my car?

Quick Reply: power braking burnouts...