General Racing/Tech General talk about Racing or help setting up your car

Motor's done..threw a rod

Old 07-17-2011, 02:58 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default Motor's done..threw a rod

Well, looks like my 408 is done. Was down at the rack dialing my suspension in and one of the rods let loose. Went through the side of the block and through the oil pan. Sucks, but this is a part of racing. I'll know this week if the head is ok, I'm sure the crank will be worthless. The heads are TEA/TF 235s, if they are ok I'll figure out another bottom end from there. I know someone who has a 440 LSX, so I was thinking about having the heads reworked to 245's and continuing on.

Carnage:

Name:  rod1.jpg
Views: 70
Size:  40.9 KB
Name:  damage.jpg
Views: 68
Size:  16.5 KB

Old 07-18-2011, 11:57 AM
NOOB
January 2012 ROTM
Technical User
ROTM Winner's Club

Ouch, well at least you had your fun with it right??

Old 07-18-2011, 04:16 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Yup, the next motor will be even more fun.

Old 07-20-2011, 06:35 PM
March 2011 ROTM
Technical User
ROTM Winner's Club

when it gets done in two years from now

Old 07-20-2011, 08:37 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Cam02ss
Well, looks like my 408 is done. Was down at the rack dialing my suspension in and one of the rods let loose. Went through the side of the block and through the oil pan. Sucks, but this is a part of racing. I'll know this week if the head is ok, I'm sure the crank will be worthless. The heads are TEA/TF 235s, if they are ok I'll figure out another bottom end from there. I know someone who has a 440 LSX, so I was thinking about having the heads reworked to 245's and continuing on.

Carnage:

Cam02SS – Nice SS! What kind of suspension tuning were you doing? The video of your 9-second pass is great! The engine sounded wicked.
In the photo of the rod, the rod bearing end looks a little cooked. Maybe it’s just the picture. If the other rods look the same, maybe the clearances were too tight or there was a oiling problem. We’ll take a moment of silence for a great sounding engine. Let us know what the autopsy turns up.

Old 08-02-2011, 03:34 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by microkid
Two years? If I go with the LS7 heads it will be out again this fall. If I go with All Pros it will be back next spring.

Old 08-02-2011, 03:40 PM
August 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by microkid
still salty, huh?

Old 08-02-2011, 03:41 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by Hotchkis
Cam02SS – Nice SS! What kind of suspension tuning were you doing? The video of your 9-second pass is great! The engine sounded wicked.
In the photo of the rod, the rod bearing end looks a little cooked. Maybe it’s just the picture. If the other rods look the same, maybe the clearances were too tight or there was a oiling problem. We’ll take a moment of silence for a great sounding engine. Let us know what the autopsy turns up.
Thanks, we were dialing in the new Afcos when the rod went. It was an oiling issue. The black stuff you see on the rod is from the track. However, you could see the blueish color on the metal so it did get hot. Bearing went, took the rod with it. 8k is a lot to spin a motor. I should have had an aftermarket pan and dry sump on there.
The 9 sec pass was weak. I was getting 0 traction and couldn't launch the car hard at all. Had the motor not gone I have no doubts that I could have passed that 9.8 time. With as well as that motor ran, I was tempted to buy another LQ9, crank, etc. and pick up where I left off. I'm getting a killer deal on an LSX 440 so I can't pass it up. The decision I have to make now is this- do I want to buy the Mast LS7 heads/Cary's intake, run low 9s on motor and still spray the car, OR, have the car be down longer, shell out the money for those killer All Pro heads/intake/rockers and run 8s on motor, and probably ditch the nitrous at that point.

Old 08-02-2011, 03:42 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by Cheeks
still salty, huh?
$8500 for a set of heads is probably a walk in the park for him.

Old 08-02-2011, 03:43 PM
August 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by Cam02ss
Thanks, we were dialing in the new Afcos when the rod went. It was an oiling issue. The black stuff you see on the rod is from the track. However, you could see the blueish color on the metal so it did get hot. Bearing went, took the rod with it. 8k is a lot to spin a motor. I should have had an aftermarket pan and dry sump on there.
The 9 sec pass was weak. I was getting 0 traction and couldn't launch the car hard at all. Had the motor not gone I have no doubts that I could have passed that 9.8 time. With as well as that motor ran, I was tempted to buy another LQ9, crank, etc. and pick up where I left off. I'm getting a killer deal on an LSX 440 so I can't pass it up. The decision I have to make now is this- do I want to buy the Mast LS7 heads/Cary's intake, run low 9s on motor and still spray the car, OR, have the car be down longer, shell out the money for those killer All Pro heads/intake/rockers and run 8s on motor, and probably ditch the nitrous at that point.
Ls7's and run the *****, its no fun to anyone sitting on jackstands

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Motor's done..threw a rod