General Racing/Tech General talk about Racing or help setting up your car

Launching...?

Old 05-29-2008, 11:48 PM
2nd Gear member
Default Launching...?

Quick question, guess this would be the best section for it since this is during races.

I have an auto with [D] and D, which has traction control? Which would be most suitable for launching?

[D] is overdrive correct? If I launch with that I spin, horribly.
In D I just squeak the tires, but it doesn't seem to pick up as fast, but maybe thats just me.

Old 05-29-2008, 11:54 PM
4' 11" 117 lbs of fury!
Default RE: Launching...?

[D] has traction control and if your launching softer in D then theres somthing wrong. footbreak it till its just barely holding at well depend on you car and tires are so on but i do mine at just under 3k. when you launch let of the break let the tires catch you have to just learn to feel it then stomp it....

Old 05-30-2008, 10:15 AM
2nd Gear member

Thats right, Thats been stated before... but he's also right that somthing is not right, if anything, it should be a little quicker in town driving, as when you go to hit the gas, it has one less gear to go through...

Old 05-30-2008, 01:10 PM
3rd Gear Member

I have to go and launch one!!Be back in 5!!

Old 05-30-2008, 04:40 PM
2nd Gear member

ORIGINAL: LT1RUNNER

I have to go and launch one!!Be back in 5!!
lolwut?

Anyway, more clarification:

I have horrible tires.

In [D] after I foot brake launch it, if I spin I get this ~WOOOOOOOOOSH~ sound from my tires.

In D it will just squeak, like its more limited. Which was why I thought it would have traction control.

Old 05-30-2008, 04:41 PM
2nd Gear member

If you have a button to shut it off then you have T/C, if not, then you dont...

Old 05-30-2008, 04:48 PM
May 2007 ROTM

If you have street tires don't do a burn out first... for slix it makes the tires sticky...street tires slick and oily.

Old 05-30-2008, 08:51 PM
Tech Droid

It should make no difference whether you start off with the selector in Drive or Overdrive. The transmission starts off in 1st gear either way. If you have traction control you should disable it, and learn to control wheel spin with your foot. A little wheel spin gives better results than none at all, as it prevents the engine from bogging. Too much wheel spin and you lose the race at the starting line. If you have bad or the wrong tires, you also lose, and make sure you have a working limited slip differential.

Old 05-30-2008, 10:15 PM
2nd Gear member

ORIGINAL: 74454bb

If you have street tires don't do a burn out first... for slix it makes the tires sticky...street tires slick and oily.
Lol, this isn't a burn out
I don't have the option to turn traction control on, just SGS. But I thought I saw on another forum that one had traction and the other didn't.
Maybe I'm just going crazy.[&:]

Old 05-30-2008, 11:32 PM
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: z28pete

It should make no difference whether you start off with the selector in Drive or Overdrive. The transmission starts off in 1st gear either way. If you have traction control you should disable it, and learn to control wheel spin with your foot. A little wheel spin gives better results than none at all, as it prevents the engine from bogging. Too much wheel spin and you lose the race at the starting line. If you have bad or the wrong tires, you also lose, and make sure you have a working limited slip differential.
Please read and listen to this post, it is the ONLY one in this thread that has 100% correct information. (except for a couple)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Launching...?