General Racing/Tech General talk about Racing or help setting up your car

I just dont get it

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2007, 12:09 PM
2nd Gear member
Default RE: I just dont get it

The problem is that in many regions the drag strips are hours away, it costs like 50-100 dollars to race, and its not car vs. car, its car vs. dial in time. thats the problem, in a street race, you are runnin the little punk that talks crap, and at a track you are runnin whoever happens to be in the lane next to you.

Old 08-18-2007, 02:37 PM
In the Staging Lanes

The drag strip here only costs $15 to race. And on test and tune night(every friday) you can race against whoever you want all night long.

Old 08-18-2007, 10:24 PM
HELP ME TOM CRUISE
Yaaarrrrrr

I am gonna pay for this, I just know it.....
I had to actually check the date of the thread to see if it was written before any drag strips were built, thinking the whole time, 'Dude, you are describing a strip'.
Any ways I have to play devils advocate and educate, just a wee bit on the cops. Contrary to popular belief police stations do not make money off of your tickets, if that were so I would want to work there and our patrol cruisers would ALL be exotics, I would carry an MP5 and have a partner at every call.

Think of crime like this, have you ever had ants in the kitchen? We all have, do you not want to kill any because you know you will not be able to kill them all? No, you will kill as many as you can, and even try to find where they are coming from, all the time thinking 'if only they could tell thier friends to stay away, I would never have this problem'. Same thing with any crime, you get what you can and hope that they tell thier friends to stay away.

Although it is a good idea, you have to consider that there is a differance between the spirit of the law and the letter of the law, your idea gives a potentially safe and slightly regulated area for racers to go, other than a strip. However, the city (sponsor) would have to define the insurance risks to the constituants (all people relevant) and have a plan for medical emergencies IE, having an ambulance (which are all privately owned) and a fire truck and a wrecker all on stand by, talk about using the cities' money - to make up for the loss of financial recourses you would be liable to charge some kind of admition or something like that, which would in turn increase the insurance and risk - never mind comming up with secruity measures. So I hate to burst the bubble of the thread, the spirit is sound but the letter of the law is heavier in this instance.
Sorry.

Old 08-18-2007, 10:39 PM
2nd Gear member

ORIGINAL: riceeater

The problem is that in many regions the drag strips are hours away, it costs like 50-100 dollars to race, and its not car vs. car, its car vs. dial in time. thats the problem, in a street race, you are runnin the little punk that talks crap, and at a track you are runnin whoever happens to be in the lane next to you.
strip location is a good point. im just used to a city that has a large number of drag strips to choose from.

my track is 20-25 bucks depending on the day for as many races as you can get. and you can race whever you want, just tell the operators who you are racing.

Old 08-18-2007, 10:44 PM
2nd Gear member

ORIGINAL: Iowa87CamaroRS

Nick if you were anymore of an idiot you would be legally retarded *Hands Nick a helmet*

DOES ANYBODY NOT GET THAT MOST PEOPLE DON'T RACE ON A TRACK? I mean it's the whole elusion of The Fast and Furious....but the only way to do it is like Stig said, close down a street, sign a waiver, challenge your friends, stop avoiding the solution
listen to what your saying, you want a long straight street blocked off every week or so so people can use it to race.

do you realise how fast people would die? you all talk like this would be some free day were rules don't apply but in reality its just a very unsafe drag strip.

rather than sending this plan to your city officials (which will get laughed at) inform them of how building a drag strip in or around your city would help to control the street racing situation.

and your calling me retarded....

Old 08-19-2007, 12:44 AM
4th Gear Member

I agree w/ cpl 100%

And there are not only drag strips but auto X events, and race courses available

Old 08-19-2007, 04:11 PM
4' 11" 117 lbs of fury!

i agree with CPL too that was kinda the point of my previous post its that the cops are not the ones that pocket money from the tickets is the court fee, taxes, insureance companys,car manufactuers that stand to lose money on a idea like that and as far as it being like a track to main differances are A.it would be free in the little dream world were operating in here B. you wouldnt end up with stuff like my V6 maro racing a kawasiki ninja with a nitrious system (happend the first time i went to the track)

Old 08-19-2007, 04:25 PM
In the Staging Lanes

LOL, ya'll make it sound like I said the police officers make comission off of writing tickets. That's not what I said. The city has to pay the police officers, the police officers make the city money by dishing out tickets while keeping the peace. My dad worked for the police department here for several years. That's how it works. Ultimately, the best/safest way to race is to go to a race track/drag strip of some kind and vent it out of your system. If you don't have one in the area sucks to be you. But it will never be legal for the police department to block off a street and turn a blind eye to illegal activity.

This is almost like saying it would be a good idea if the police department made it legal one day out of the week to buy/sell/use narcotics in one particular spot that way people are only doing it when it's safe.......... come on!

Old 08-19-2007, 05:38 PM
HELP ME TOM CRUISE
Yaaarrrrrr

ORIGINAL: 72charger

, the police officers make the city money by dishing out tickets while keeping the peace.
Not quite, but close. The county makes the money, then the county gives its cities a budget, very little residual from a police dockett actually goes to the city the cop is from. Anyways, neither here nor there. Street racing is not only illigal, but, more importantly its dangerous. There are really bad wrecks, and there are little wreck, either way they are dangerous.

Here is an example of one I worked the other day, nobody died, however street racing is to blame. The drivers got away, leaving this mother to fend for herself. These real winners were doing this in the rain.
I know you are suggesting to close the roads to avoid this type of thing. I just dont think its practical. Good idea though.

[IMG]local://upfiles/5126/F1C0750E22FC4D728CDA364ECDD70529.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/5126/A28ECF4064854FAA82BA59C2B88B7D1B.jpg[/IMG]

Old 08-20-2007, 08:17 PM
In the Staging Lanes

It must be different in different states then.

Quick Reply: I just dont get it