General Racing/Tech General talk about Racing or help setting up your car

Going to the Strip for the First Time

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2009, 10:46 PM
Default Going to the Strip for the First Time

As far as the car goes I bought it recently and I really don't know much about what aftermarket is/is not on the car. It is an 02 Z28. (Ls1, obviously) I know it has a stage 3 shift kit, complete SLP Exhaust (including headers), upgraded disc brakes front and rear, complete suspension overhaul (save for the springs), frame amd rear end-reinforcement, an cold air intake and upgraded throttle body, stall converter (2800 rpms, I believe) and a tranny cooler (it's mounted in an odd location though. It's mounted underneath the passanger-side headlamp.

Any suggestions starting at the line?

What PSI should I run my tires at? Around 20? The car is sitting on Nitto NT555R's. From what I've found so far 25 is pretty safe too.

Anything I should know being a drag newbie? I've never even been to a strip before...

Old 06-20-2009, 02:13 PM
AGH

As soon as the guy waves you into the burnout box, pull up open your door to look and make sure your rear tires are in the water. Gun the throttle a little to spin the tires over to get them wet all the way around. Pull forward about 5' and do your burnout. Hold it till the car pushes out. Don't get in a hurry because of nerves or thinking your holding them up. If you hold them up the starter will wave you up anyway. Do the burnout good. Pull up to the line slowly and turn on the pre-stage bulb. If you pull in to far, just back up a little and pull in slowly again. Wait for the other guy to stage. Ease up and turn on the stage bulb. When the second yellow bulb comes on give some gas holding the break pedal and punch it on the third yellow bulb.

We run or DR's at 15 psi

Old 06-21-2009, 09:43 PM
NOOO they be stealin' my bucket
ROTM Winner's Club

I would say around 22-20psi for the nitto's. Also there is no need to do a big burn out on the Nittos. My best advice is just spin them. As soon as you see the first glimpse of smoke you are ready to run. The nittos are a street tire so burning the crap out of them is going to do nothing more then burn up your tires. When you see the last yellow light hit the tree you need to be on the gas. (dont wait for the green light) REMEMBER LAST YELLOW LIGHT!!!