General Racing/Tech General talk about Racing or help setting up your car

First Auto X

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2009, 11:05 AM
1st Gear Member
Default First Auto X

k guys im doin my first autocross this sunday and really lookin forward to it. you guys have any tips or suggestions for drivin in autocross?

Old 10-08-2009, 01:57 PM
NOOB
January 2012 ROTM
Technical User
ROTM Winner's Club

Glad you ask. I go events here in my area and I got tips from the county champion:

Tire pressure front: 40psi, rear: 38. (Or more but the fronts should be more to reduce roll). If you enter with modded suspension, be as stiff as possible (coilover adjustments should be all the way low, camber plates should have negative camber of 3 degrees and strut tower braces to maximum stiffness). Make sure to run 100 octane (1/4 tank for less weight on vehicle) for more responsiveness and so that you don't produce too much carbon from all the excessive acceleration. When you enter a turn, come from the outside and cut in at the precise moment and swing out as wide as you can while maintaining throttle control. Cut the slolums as tight as possible and time the exit if you immediatly go to a turn after. But most importantly, MAKE SURE YOUR BRAKES WORK!

It takes skill and practice to get it right but once you 'FEEL' the course, it should come right to you. Like instinct.

Gud luck buddy.

Old 10-09-2009, 09:11 AM
1st Gear Member

Great choice! Autocross is one of the hardest to drive, but easiest to afford. I did Ironman and rookie of the year in 06 with TSSCC, and I never had more fun racing in anything I've ever done. The drag strip is great, but any moron can pay a shop to build them a fast car. Not everyone can drive them though, and I distinctly remember one day that I ran with just struts and springs on all season tires, and had better raw times than a GT500 and an NSX. Makes you feel good to know you can drive and it's not the car that makes you fast.

Old 10-10-2009, 02:17 PM
1st Gear Member

thnx for the tips guys and i found out today that instead of running stock class im in street touring extreme because of my hood and intake...so that should make an interesting day of my first time lol. ill be sure to post times and let ya know how it goes.

Old 10-12-2009, 10:25 AM
1st Gear Member

well everything went great yesterday! it was so frickin cold so no one really had any grip but times for the track were bout 46 secs. my first run was a 60 lol but then i dropped every time eventually running two 50s for my best times. all in all i loved the whole concept and it was so fun so i will definitely going back next season!

Old 04-14-2010, 04:14 PM
2nd Gear member

Can somebody with quite a bit of auto crossing esperience in a 4th gen camaro please give me some pointers on parts to purchase. I've got a pretty good base so far, but i am wondering if i should a 3-point strut bar, and as far as adjustability, are the strut bars and sway bars that go adjustable worth the money? Other whise im looking to upgrade my current strut bar and larger way bar from a 32mm to a 35mm. Also are the ground control "coilover adapters" gonna help me on the track as opposed to eibach pro kits ( which i am not very happy with these pro kits so im looking to upgrade to a stiffer spring rate) And i also like the idea of the adjustability from these adapters.

Old 04-14-2010, 06:28 PM
Fancy Sparkle

camarokid, the best mod you can get is the one behind the wheel. learning to drive and control the car will make you so much faster than any single mod. next best would be tires. r-comps will drop your times like a rock, BUT will also hide any mistakes you make compared to a street tire. when a street tire looses traction, it's audible. a slick won't make noise until you've REALLY gone over the edge.

Old 04-14-2010, 07:48 PM
2nd Gear member

Thanks 1990 but i allready know that. I was more looking or somebody to clear up more o my detailed questions that i had stated. I have tires picked out i would like but they'll cost $1200. : (

Old 04-14-2010, 08:49 PM
Fancy Sparkle

i'll tell you right now, eibach lowering kits SUCK. they don't settle right and cause uneven rates at all 4 corners, which is the LAST thing you want for handling.

Old 04-14-2010, 10:46 PM
2nd Gear member

once again, i stated this myself in my initial post that i want to upgrade my springs. Do you know of a better spring? Id like the ground controls bc they give you a spring rate based on the type of shock you have and what type of driving you're going to be doing.

Quick Reply: First Auto X