General Racing/Tech General talk about Racing or help setting up your car

Downshifting?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2009, 08:32 PM
Default Downshifting?

can someone please explain to me the different sequences to properly downshift a 2000 z28? i always watch race vids to see their fancy footwork but if someone could explain me the different ways i'd appreciate it.

as far as i undestand there are 2 ways?

*Double clutching
*Rev matching

but please elaborate on them

thanks

Old 04-29-2009, 09:46 PM

anyone???

Old 04-30-2009, 02:33 AM
2nd Gear member

find a way that works for you i rev match but im sure everybody does it a diffrent way

Old 04-30-2009, 01:22 PM
2nd Gear member

Double Clutching is essentially if your say shifting from 4th to 3rd, you push the clutch in and "shift" into neutral. Then let the clutch out, push it in again and shift into 3rd. Takes time to practice to be able to do it quickly.

Rev matching is when you are driving at say 1800 rpm in 4th gear, you push the clutch down. With the clutch in you have to rev your engine to say 2300 and shift to 3rd. That's just an estimate, when your shifting from a high gear to a low gear your rpms are going to be higher, so you want to take an estimate (once your better it's not really an estimate, you just know) as to how high your rpms are.

Double clutching is usually safer, but takes longer to master.

Old 05-03-2009, 12:49 AM
4' 11" 117 lbs of fury!

what young is discribeing is called speed or skip shifting.... downshifting it a technique traditonally used in street racing when going from a roll a roll meaning both cars are already moving....... your cars main power band is going to be from 3-4.5 thousand rpms so if your in 3rd let say at 1000 rpms you shift down into 2nd and it jumps you up into yoru powerband this way you leave harder hower when launching from a dig... a standing start this method is usless

Old 05-19-2009, 08:01 PM

The type of downshifting you are seeing the race drivers do is called "heel-toe" downshifting. You cannot truly drive a m/t car fast on a racetrack (or mountain road) untill you master that technique. What you are seeing is the drivers blip the throttle with either their heel or the side of their foot as they are braking and downshifting at the same time. This matches the engine revs for the next lower gear. If you do not heel-toe you have to feather the clutch to prevent rear wheel lock-up. This is not only absolutely terrible for the clutch, but also limits your "threshold braking" ability. You can't brake as hard because the rear wheels want to lock-up when you downshift. Double clutching is absolutely pointless in a modern synchro equipped transmission so don't worry about that for now.

When I downshift it goes like this:

-4th gear

-clutch-in/shift to 3rd/blip throttle with the side of my foot all at the same time

-clutch out

You'll struggle with it for a while, but once you start to get it a little you'll see it really isn't that complicated. The trick is learning to modulate everything together (brake/gas/clutch) to do it as smooth as possible and maximize your braking potential. Heel-toe downshifting is something that really anyone driving a m/t car should learn as it reduces the stress on the entire drivetrain significantly when downshifting. I do know that the camaro pedal spacing is not nearly as ideal as it is in my 240sx so you may have to make or buy bigger brake/gas pedals to do it effectively. I know I will as I simply cannot do it with my heel and the pedals are too far apart to use the side of my foot.

Old 05-20-2009, 08:25 PM

yeah the heel to toe is not too easy on a camaro.... i need a larger brake pedal face...

anyway i have been driving the car for a while now (about 3 weeks.. haha) and i find myself double clutching anytime i downshift something like 4th to 2nd or 5th to 2nd... its supposed to ease the syncros even tho it may not be entirely nessicary.

thanks for the description

Old 05-25-2009, 03:16 AM
1st Gear Member

If you are not racing then why downshift at all? You put more stress on the engine, tranny, and other parts. Just you the brakes.

Old 05-28-2009, 05:53 PM

actually from what i read its easier on your car granted that you do it properly... saves you brakes also... haha if you do it improperly then yes it will only hurt your clutch amongst other things as well