General Racing/Tech General talk about Racing or help setting up your car

Closest to HP numbers gets a prize!

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2008, 11:29 AM
3rd Gear Member
Default RE: Closest to HP numbers gets a prize!

280 I am more interested on how the e85 conversion turns out... keep us posted on those details.

Old 01-31-2008, 11:37 AM
1st Gear Member

Well, only the dyno will tell, but evidence suggests I'll make the best power at about 26psi. And it's not really an eclipse turbo. It's made by mitsubishi, but so is the 25g, and people are making well over 550 with those.

I'm trying to get the car as light as possible. I'm thinking it probably weighs 2175 right now. I still have some trunklid and hood bracing to remove, as well as some noise dampening material (tar basically) from the floor. So that's where the number come from. I have some very efficient tricks up my sleeve in management, and have a little more work to do to get the 60' times where I want them. 1.71 so far just dumping the clutch at 8psi and 3800 on the 2-step with a stock PT cruiser clutch, so I have to play with that a little more to figure out where to launch the car at its new lower weight and stiffer clutch. I also am limiting boost in first gear to a controllable 12-13psi, and after 2nd is engaged, full boost will be switched on, so I can use the most power my traction can provide depending on the gear.

Once I up the turbo to a bigger bullseye unit, I'll go to a 3 level boost control, so 12, 25, 42, and hopefully be in the high 9s. I'll need to do more chassis work to get it into the low 9s, but that should be possible around that 750hp, 2000lb level.

Old 01-31-2008, 11:40 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: GRIFF

280 I am more interested on how the e85 conversion turns out... keep us posted on those details.
e85 conversion is already done. Been running it for thousands of miles, and plenty of passes.

You might want to revise your guess. I was already making around 240 at less than 10psi. If bumping that up another 15psi or so only makes it put out another 40, I'll cry.

Old 01-31-2008, 12:04 PM
Ninja Administrator

u got any head work done? im sorry bro, but im just not seeing those numbers through stock heads with nothing but forged internals. u got any links to similar builds doing this?

Old 01-31-2008, 12:45 PM
1st Gear Member

Well, there really isn't a comparable car. Mine's a unique build. But the turbo I'm using is a TD05-16G-10CM2. Flows enough for 400 as advertised.

Stock, most N/A cars at my altitude see around 92kpa of IM pressure at full throttle. I'll be making 270-275kpa of IM pressure. That's almost 3 times the air pressure as the car sees stock. It's a 132hp motor from the factory, or around 150 with stock internals, but all the bolt ons. Good tuning with a standlone can make that 160 without any internal engine work, but good design of aftermarket intake and exhaust. So let's say the most that this car could possibly make is 480 with that turbo, but that won't happen due to the inefficiencies of the turbo system. So cut at least 10% off of that for inefficiencies. So 430 would be a stretch, but theoretically possible. I know I won't be making that much, just simply because my turbo manifold design is less than ideal for top end hp, but better for quick spool. Now that's all under the assumption that the turbo still makes boost air instead of blowing hot air at 26psi. (Once the compressor spins fast enough to force the air to move faster than the speed of sound, it just makes hot air, which kills power)

I don't know if any of that clarified anything, but it should bring you guys close to understanding what I have under the hood. I know it's a completely different idea than tons of cubes, but makes the power nonetheless.

Old 01-31-2008, 01:07 PM
Overdrive Member

I'll drop in my guess...

342 FWHP

Old 01-31-2008, 01:47 PM
Ninja Administrator

ORIGINAL: esteinmaier

Well, there really isn't a comparable car. Mine's a unique build. But the turbo I'm using is a TD05-16G-10CM2. Flows enough for 400 as advertised.

Stock, most N/A cars at my altitude see around 92kpa of IM pressure at full throttle. I'll be making 270-275kpa of IM pressure. That's almost 3 times the air pressure as the car sees stock. It's a 132hp motor from the factory, or around 150 with stock internals, but all the bolt ons. Good tuning with a standlone can make that 160 without any internal engine work, but good design of aftermarket intake and exhaust. So let's say the most that this car could possibly make is 480 with that turbo, but that won't happen due to the inefficiencies of the turbo system. So cut at least 10% off of that for inefficiencies. So 430 would be a stretch, but theoretically possible. I know I won't be making that much, just simply because my turbo manifold design is less than ideal for top end hp, but better for quick spool. Now that's all under the assumption that the turbo still makes boost air instead of blowing hot air at 26psi. (Once the compressor spins fast enough to force the air to move faster than the speed of sound, it just makes hot air, which kills power)

I don't know if any of that clarified anything, but it should bring you guys close to understanding what I have under the hood. I know it's a completely different idea than tons of cubes, but makes the power nonetheless.
that sounds much more realistic, the 750 seemed kinda out there, it would take a completely new everything, ud basically be running a neon shell.

btw, 1.7 60' is awesome for a car like that. i havent heard of many fwd cars doing it.

Old 01-31-2008, 02:51 PM
2nd Gear member

New guess: 388 Whp.

340 TQ.

Old 01-31-2008, 02:56 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: SpecterGT260

ORIGINAL: esteinmaier

that sounds much more realistic, the 750 seemed kinda out there, it would take a completely new everything, ud basically be running a neon shell.

btw, 1.7 60' is awesome for a car like that. i havent heard of many fwd cars doing it.
Well, the same bottom end will be used, but I'll have to swap over to a head that will be safe to about 9k RPM to be able to take advantage of the flow of the bigger turbo. 42psi in a 2 liter motor is about like a well built 8 liter motor, but weighs less for torque, and if you can keep that torque all the way well into the 8ks of RPM, that's a recipe for some huge horsepower.

Btw, I'll only be spinning the SOHC head to 7300 because it just plain doesn't flow enough to make power up top.

It's pretty good, but there's always better. I have a good friend that has run a 1.56 60'in a neon. I think that run resulted in a 9.2xx 1/4 mile. I can only imagine how scary that would be driving a car that fast with the power to the wrong axle.

Old 01-31-2008, 05:05 PM
3rd Gear Member

305 I am just guessing.. hope you make 500.. How do you like the E85, was it difficult to convert, did you have any corrosion issues?

Quick Reply: Closest to HP numbers gets a prize!