Bbq

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2010, 12:53 PM
March 2008 ROTM
Default Bbq

yes i know, its not at all third gen related and belongs in OT. but i refuse to drag myself into that area anymore, its a waste of my time. So i will post it here..

I recently discovered an old Weber charcoal grill in a scrap metal pile in the back of my house. I dug it out and cleaned it up and gave it new galvanized legs ( went way overboard, but why not right?). Ive only grilled on coal once or twice in my life but have hundreds of times on gas. Im wondering what yall like to cook and how? What spices or rubs do you use? I want to get some awesome ribs. Basically im lookin for pointers. Whats a man who cannot grill on coal and produce awesome meat right? I can cook some MEAN burgers and chicken breasts, but thats about the extent of my abilities, never tried anything else. Ideas?

Ive thought about fish.. anybody ever done fish?

Old 01-09-2010, 10:16 PM
3rd Gear Member

Salmon is great. Try scallops wrapped in bacon. Watch the grease flare ups and then coat em with bbq sauce at the end. Also helps to pre cook the bacon in the microwave first. Even did lobster once.....

Old 01-09-2010, 10:34 PM
In the Staging Lanes

what you do is take some small split hickory wood pieces and soak them in water over night. then when you go to grill toss them on top of the charcoal to give the meat a nice hickory smoked flavor. duck breasts wrapped in bacon and marinated in steak seasoning is very good. so is good old fashion pork chops and beer can chicken. matter of fact anything on a grill sounds good after eating dorm food for 3 months.

Old 01-09-2010, 10:35 PM
HELP ME TOM CRUISE
Yaaarrrrrr

I bet this would go good in the garage section... I could move it if you want.. or leave it here. up to you.

I put ribs in the oven at about 200 240 for a few hours before ploping them on the grill. I have a nice rub I got from this company down in florida that really brings out the flavors nicely. I also like to marinade steaks in the rub as well, for about 45 minutes or so.

Old 01-09-2010, 10:37 PM
HELP ME TOM CRUISE
Yaaarrrrrr

in fact, even though its only supposed to be 4 degrees out Monday I might fire up the grill just to be different. The neighbors already think I am a loon, may as well prove it!

Old 01-10-2010, 12:30 AM
March 2008 ROTM

ive got the hickory chips for the smoker already. Considered trying that this summer sometime.

I need to get a good thermometer for it.

Right now it would read 0 degrees. Brr.

Ive been watching that Pit masters show. been gettin a few ideas from it, but realistically im far from that. Im not that good yet. But i noticed a lot of them wrap the ribs in foil and keep basting them with something, any ideas what that is?

And ive never even seen the garage section.. whats it all about? Anything like OT?

Old 01-10-2010, 09:07 AM
August 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by cplthomas
I bet this would go good in the garage section... I could move it if you want.. or leave it here. up to you.

I put ribs in the oven at about 200 240 for a few hours before ploping them on the grill. I have a nice rub I got from this company down in florida that really brings out the flavors nicely. I also like to marinade steaks in the rub as well, for about 45 minutes or so.
Next time you do this, put a pan with about 1/8" of water in the bottom of the oven and replace it as needed. Keeps them nice and moist and really tenderizes the meat

I usually use that method plus whatever bbq sauce we have for ribs. They always turn out great. My dad uses a recipe to make a sauce that's similar to spare ribs you get at a Chinese place, but it's about 100x better.

Apparently he learned it when he was a kid working for a Chinese restaurant, and it's some big secret recipe that can't be written down and only passed on to his children

Old 01-10-2010, 10:02 AM
March 2008 ROTM

i knew about the water pan idea. im tryin to figure a way to mount somethin on the side that will hold a few cups of water/beer/some crazy concoction ( according to spell check i got that right! WOW!).

What kinda sauces yall use? Ive just used good ol KC and one other.. forget the name though. Ive checked a few recipes online and i want to try some of them. Orocker made me some good rubs, ill have to get her to send me some more of them!

Old 01-10-2010, 10:56 AM
December 2011 ROTM
Santas Little Helper
ROTM Winner's Club

Put the lemon kick rub I made you onto the salmon and wrap it in some foil. Its the bomb on the grill. Ive got some flap steak marinating in Ken's 2 cheese italian salad dressing. Gonna fire up the grill when I get home even if it is in the 20's outside. Just let me know and I can post up some of the recipes for the rubs I sent you a couple years ago. The squid has even come up with one of his own that we put on some racks of ribs and let them slow cook all after noon on the grill.

Old 01-10-2010, 11:19 AM
March 2008 ROTM

oh its more than possible. Just takes a bit longer to heat up and cook. which is good IMO.

But yea if you can send me that reciepe to the lemon and that BBQ one again that would be saweet. What all is in squids deal?