Engine & Internal Cams, heads, valvetrain, rotating assemblies. Chat about beefing up your insides here.

ut..oh...please help lol

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2010, 02:14 PM
2nd Gear member
Exclamation ut..oh...please help lol

well, i just got a job today (finally!) and what happens as im pulling out? 2nd gear starts to make a really loud squealing sound...now i have never heard a tranny do this before lol the suspension is 33 years old so i figured it was that, but it goes away when the clutch is engaged and doesnt do it in the other 3 gears. it doesnt do it EVERY time im in 2nd gear only most of the ride home, i just drove home from revving 1st to about 3k then shifting to 3rd lol, i BELIEVE it is a T-10 tranny, although it could be a Saginaw. the guy i bought the car from said it was a Muncie, and i couldnt hear the whine over the open headers, but...its not. anyone know if this is a really bad problem? its not a grinding noise like i have heard from trannies before, and it seems to have no problem engaging in gear, its just...odd.

Old 01-12-2010, 02:29 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

did u check the tranny gear oil yet?

Old 01-12-2010, 02:32 PM
2nd Gear member

uhh i havent changed it, i was going to while doing the clutch but my friend who is better at this stuff said it was fine, my Suburban had a tranny dipstick, do manual cars have one?

Old 01-12-2010, 02:43 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

nope no dip stick. how long ago was it checked? gotta get under there and on the side (about half way up) of the trany there should be a plug to pull. the oil should be up to the bottom of the plug. might even have a little drip out when u pull the plug.

Old 01-12-2010, 02:54 PM
2nd Gear member

i'll put it up on ramps 2marow when there is more light out (getting dark already lol damn winter) while im down there i might just swap the oil for the hell of it, do you know if this takes tranny oil or gear case oil? i have a bit of Royal Purple gear case oil with a pump top in the garage. i also have gallons and gallons of auto tranny fluid, but im pretty sure thats a big no no lol

Last edited by Adam78; 01-12-2010 at 02:57 PM.
Old 01-12-2010, 03:21 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

need to have the car level to check right. lol. take into account the angle of the trany. pretty sure its 80/90 wt but i could very well be wrong so better find out what tranny it is.

Old 01-12-2010, 03:26 PM
2nd Gear member

yeah, i put the ramps at the end of the driveway where it dips down where the sidewalk ends, it makes for almost a completely level surface lol, thats how i did the Suburban's, or i might finally cough up the money for proper jack stands lol

Old 01-12-2010, 04:17 PM
2nd Gear member

well my dad just took it for a drive, and guess what, NO SOUND! lol of course when i need a second opinion it doesnt happen, we drove around the town trying to warm it up and see but nothing, maybe it was something in the flywheel or something, it is missing the cover after all lol

Old 01-12-2010, 10:42 PM

I have an 80 with a T5 and had a similar problem. The reason I didn't hear it in first gear was because the gears are so loud, but it was evident in the other gears. The problem that I discovered was the TO Bearing. If you just want to swap out the TO Bearing, not a big deal. Pull the tranny, replace the bearing. No clutch alignment needed when putting the trans back in. My theory though, if your yanking the gear box, might as well replace the clutch if it's in question. Good luck.

Old 01-12-2010, 10:58 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

so was the neghbors cat missing. lol. hope it stays away.