Engine & Internal Cams, heads, valvetrain, rotating assemblies. Chat about beefing up your insides here.

Um, I kinda forgot to put a gasket back in my tranny....

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2006, 12:58 AM
3rd Gear Member
Default Um, I kinda forgot to put a gasket back in my tranny....

I spent this evening working on my ghetto transmission. (TH350 in a 1982 Z28....) Replaced the filter, bolted her all up and was ready to have a beer when I noticed a little gasket on the ground. The little paper gasket that goes between the filter and the ?valve body? was left out. Please, somebody tell me that this is a small mistake and the the tranny will work fine without this meaningless little paper gasket......oh heck I dont want to crawl under that greasy mess again....

Old 08-17-2006, 02:46 AM
In the Staging Lanes
Default RE: Um, I kinda forgot to put a gasket back in my tranny....

unless you had to remove the valve body to replace the filter (i doubt) i think your refering to the trany pan gasket... most trany pan gaskets are reusable.. so im assuming you didn't remove the pan gasket??? if this is the case crank her up and check for leaks.. if none are noted your fine

Old 08-17-2006, 10:07 AM
3rd Gear Member

Nope, not the pan gasket. I mean the little gasket that goes on the filter. Little paper thing. Man,if nobody else knows this part, maybe they forgot it also

Old 08-17-2006, 11:58 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Gaskets are there for a purpose. Take this as a learning experience and put the gasket where it belongs. The trans pump will probably suck air at times if the gasket isn't there and that won't help your transmission live a long happy life. I used to teach a 350 transmission class when I was working for GM. What is a "Ghetto Transmission"?
ORIGINAL: ScottD

Nope, not the pan gasket. I mean the little gasket that goes on the filter. Little paper thing. Man,if nobody else knows this part, maybe they forgot it also

Old 08-17-2006, 01:59 PM
3rd Gear Member

GHETTO TRANSMISSION: (adj) A term used to describe when some bubba raplaces your original transmission with another. In my case, they put a TH350 where a th200c should be. There was no kickdown cable, and the car will go into any gear regardless of the key being in the ignition or not. I wanted a project car, I guess I got one.