Engine & Internal Cams, heads, valvetrain, rotating assemblies. Chat about beefing up your insides here.

Timing Issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2010, 09:12 PM
In the Staging Lanes

thats weird usually pinging would be caused from the timing being too advanced but you say you advanced it and it got better...i guess you can rule out timing as the issue but thats about all i know...i hope you can get it fixed. Good luck

Old 04-13-2010, 12:23 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Originally Posted by Zapper
I kind of did something similar when I took the car out of storage, I got a yogurt cup and filled it about more then half and poured it into the carb and there was black smoke coming out of the exhaust, should I do it again but your way?

It most likely didn't do any good if you poured it more in one quick shot.

Old 04-24-2010, 09:28 PM
In the Staging Lanes

I picked up some MSD timing tape and timed her at 33* she no longer pings and runs way better but still runs on and also i have no idea why, as soon as i connect the vaccum advanced she starts pining agian and the RPM's are so off?? so i just pluged the vaccum line

Old 04-24-2010, 09:49 PM
3rd Gear Member

Some vacuum advance canisters are adjustable with a 1/8 alan wrench. Depends on which brand you get (or have) but you adjust one way and it advances and the other way it retards. Sounds like when you plug it to the advance it jumps up in RPM and pings?

Old 04-24-2010, 09:51 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

I picked up some MSD timing tape and timed her at 33* she no longer pings and runs way better but still runs on and also i have no idea why, as soon as i connect the vaccum advanced she starts pining agian and the RPM's are so off?? so i just pluged the vaccum line
You set it at 33 all in? What is base timing set at? And, what kind of a cooling fan do you have, electric or belt driven?

Old 04-25-2010, 08:15 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
You set it at 33 all in? What is base timing set at? And, what kind of a cooling fan do you have, electric or belt driven?
The inital timing is set @ 33* and Total timing is set @ 55*, i took it for a pretty long run today and there was no pining at all, now i have much more power and you can hear the lift of the cam way more. Its just the stock cooling fan belt driven

Last edited by Zapper; 04-25-2010 at 08:22 PM.
Old 04-25-2010, 08:35 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

The inital timing is set @ 33* and Total timing is set @ 55*, i took it for a pretty long run today and there was no pining at all, now i have much more power and you can hear the lift of the cam way more. Its just the stock cooling fan belt driven
I'm surprised you don't still have pinging, you're way too far advanced. I would set initial timing at 10-12 BTDC, check where you're total timing comes in, and see how it performs on the road. Preferred total timing is in the 36 degrees range. Even if you don't hear pinging, it's not good for the engine to run so far advanced, plus it could make it run hotter as well.

Old 04-25-2010, 09:01 PM
In the Staging Lanes

I'm surprised you don't still have pinging, you're way too far advanced. I would set initial timing at 10-12 BTDC, check where you're total timing comes in, and see how it performs on the road. Preferred total timing is in the 36 degrees range. Even if you don't hear pinging, it's not good for the engine to run so far advanced, plus it could make it run hotter as well.

When i was messing with the timing yesterday i had it around 28* and it was running rough and was about to stall,
and that was for initial timing, so i think if i set around 10-12* it won't even run, do you think the Distributor is a few teeth off?

Last edited by Zapper; 04-25-2010 at 09:30 PM.
Old 04-26-2010, 12:14 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Once the engine is running, there's no such thing as the distributor being off by a few teeth. Timing is determined by where the rotor is pointing in relation to the corresponding plug wire on the cap, and swinging the distributor changes that. Does your engine have an aftermarket timing tab by chance? If so, it could be the wrong one, and your TDC isn't really where you think it is. What about your harmonic balancer, is it old or new? Old balancers have been known to have the rubber insulator dry out and crack, letting the outer ring spin free from the hub, which throws the mark off.

Old 04-26-2010, 11:21 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Once the engine is running, there's no such thing as the distributor being off by a few teeth. Timing is determined by where the rotor is pointing in relation to the corresponding plug wire on the cap, and swinging the distributor changes that. Does your engine have an aftermarket timing tab by chance? If so, it could be the wrong one, and your TDC isn't really where you think it is. What about your harmonic balancer, is it old or new? Old balancers have been known to have the rubber insulator dry out and crack, letting the outer ring spin free from the hub, which throws the mark off.
No the timing tab is orginal, when i was putting the timing tape on i had to take the crank pulley off to messure the Harmonice balancer. It messured at 6.75" and i noticed the the rubber in the balancer was sticking out alot maybe a quarter inch?? the balancer maybe coming apart, i have a spare Used 8" balancer in the garage should i replace with it?

Quick Reply: Timing Issues