Engine & Internal Cams, heads, valvetrain, rotating assemblies. Chat about beefing up your insides here.

supercharged ls1

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 09:32 PM
2nd Gear member
Default supercharged ls1

I have a 94 3.4 that i am building into a custom week end cruiser. I've got alot of suspension, and continuing to upgrade. But this is a question that would be put into the works at earliest next winter. Time and money are not an issue. I want a street car that i will be able to have alot of fun with, but nothing to crazy. I was wondering if supercharging an ls1 would be option. What other motors would work in the 4th gen camaro? I want something around 450-500 hp.

Old 03-24-2008, 10:23 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: supercharged ls1

You should look into an LS6.

Old 03-24-2008, 10:32 PM
Ninja Administrator

arent u the guy that got yelled at in CR last summer bc u ran over a guys foot or something?

anyways, it sounds like ur looking at swapping an ls motor into your current car. it would probably be more cost effective to seel your current ride and start with a car already containing the motor you want. i know u said money isnt an option, but the swap into that style car is going to be painful

Old 03-25-2008, 10:30 AM
2nd Gear member

I was there when the kid "got his foot ran over" Wasn't me tho. LOl i was cought like in th emiddle of it, and was like wtf, there are a bunch of pissed off guys. Uhoh. lol I dont want to sell this car. I allready know that. Main reason i want to it is so i can have one of the only 93-97 4th gen camaros with an ls series engine. I think it'd be cool as hell. Would an ls6 even fit?
I konw it sounds stupid but, i dont even want to sell this car. It's my first car, ya know, i've put my love and sweet into this car. Whenver you ask any old timers about there first car, most will say they wish they still had it. So, since i can afford it, and dont need to sell it, i might as well keep it. It means more to methen just money.

Old 03-25-2008, 10:42 AM
Ninja Administrator

how much do you think it will cost to do the swap?

and an ls1 and ls6 are the same thing with different heads/cam/intake manifold. the motor is physically taller than an LT so you will probably have to get a cowl hood to make it work. along with alot of fab work on the mounts. I am not sure, but its possible you will have to get a 98+ front suspension and Kmember to get the motor to fit. Im not sure where its easier to fab mounts, on the chassis or on the kmember.

Old 03-25-2008, 10:58 AM
2nd Gear member

Well, i like the look of the cowl hoods, i was planning on that anyway. But i figure i'd need, the engine, wiring harness, ecu, k member, trans, rear end. And then custom fabanything else. I am giong to have a shop do the actual motor swap tho. I dont' have the skills or tools, to do a complete engine swap. As for the swap cost, i have no clue. I would really like to get a ls1 drop out with trans. Do any necessary rebuilding/beefing up of trans or engine to support a supercharger. Possibly put ls6 heads, cam, inatake? This is going to be a project over the next couple of years. It's going in a garage and ill buy the parts over the next year or two. Then when i move to missouri ill begin to start the swap. Would the ls6 swap be a good idea, can i supercharger it then?

Old 03-25-2008, 11:10 AM
Ninja Administrator

it would be just as powerful and cheaper if you did a cam and good set of heads. the ls1 is too high compression so you cannot run much boost (maybe 6psi to be safe). you can be just as fast with a cam/head combo.

for a motor and trans combo i think youre looking at 5-8k depending on how hard you look and which direction you go. new front suspension with fab work is going to run you towards another 1k. you will most likely want to replace your rear end (unless the v6 and v8 rears are the same.... but i was thinking they didnt have a posi back then) which, if you want to do it right will cost u 2k for a 12 bolt or 9" or maybe a few hundred if you get lucky and buy a 10bolt from someone used. if you want to supercharge it ur looking at about 4k in parts, or if u take my advice and do head/cam youre looking at around 2.5k in parts.

so were talking a rough estimate of 15k before labor. you could knock this down a bit by finding used parts from donor cars, but just be sure u know what it is ur biting into here. there are alot of people who think it would be cool to do a swap like this, but there is a reason there arent many of them out there

Old 03-25-2008, 11:30 AM
4' 11" 117 lbs of fury!

i wish i was more knowlegeable about the 3.4 models but i can speak for sure about the 3.8 if you assuming there the same heres what i can share if you have A4 its the same tranny that comes in a Z so youll be good there the rear end is essntially the same excluding is spectar stated a rear dif and gearing... those can be swaped fairly cheaply now the bigest components that youll need for the overall swap is ofcorse then engine a Z28 wireing harness the gauge cluster and ofcorse sombody to put it all in....in addtion youll need to re-enforce the motor mounts for the V8 and as spectar said due to the high compression of a LS1 heads+cam will put you waaaay in 400 hp and with port and polish you can be to 600 easy but by that high youll need to start replacing other stuff anyway

Old 03-25-2008, 11:49 AM
2nd Gear member

Ok, i've looked on ebay and can get a engine trans drop out for like 4k. Get some heads, cam, and intake off a ls6 i think it'll be a lil cheaper and easier. I would also just buy a rear end form a crashed z or ss form a junk yard or what not. I would make sure to buy the wiring harness with the engine. I'm not looking to get enough hp to need a complete bottom end rebuild. Just enough to take it out on friday night cruises and have fun whenever. This has been very helpfull guys. Right now im in the process of getting some vette rims and replacing suspension. I'd also need to get heavier springs, but that's easy.

Old 03-25-2008, 05:05 PM
ROTM Winner
ROTM Winner's Club

what you do is take your ls1 heads and intake and have either advanced induction or lloyd elliot port them for you. you will make more power that way and putting on ls6 heads. ps...when you mention old men missing their first car...they mean the way it sat. after you do all of this stuff to the car, its not going to be the same car. and if you don't want to put a new bottom end in, i wouldn't supercharge it. i think it'd be better to do an older small block chevy and work with that. cheaper and much easier to find

Quick Reply: supercharged ls1