Engine & Internal Cams, heads, valvetrain, rotating assemblies. Chat about beefing up your insides here.

Starting Problems!

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2010 | 03:58 PM
|
Default Starting Problems!

I have a 02 ss with about 66,000 miles. Recently I have had problems starting the car. All the lights will come on, but the car won't start. It won't click or anything, but after 15-20 turns of the key it'll start. Any ideas? Help is very much appreciated. Thanks!

Old 05-17-2010 | 06:00 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Hey I had the same problem you did - from what I've seen on here it's pretty common. Anyways first thing you should do is check your battery connections, clean them off if theres anything on them and even if they don't look dirty you might as well clean them.

Also what condition is your key? If the chip in it is messed up your car won't start and you'll probly see a yellowish light on your dash when you turn your key that says 'security'. If thats it replace the key.

Could be the starter too - it's easy enough to pull off, just gotta have the car up on ramps and the right tools/strength. It's like two bolts and some nuts/wires and possibly a heatshield you'll have to pull off to get to it. Anyways if you pull that off and take it to a parts store they should be able to check if its working. I replaced mine and haven't had any starting problems since, I really hope its gone. Ran me like 170 for the starter.

Old 05-18-2010 | 10:10 PM
|

Originally Posted by Cammy 3.8lV6
Hey I had the same problem you did - from what I've seen on here it's pretty common. Anyways first thing you should do is check your battery connections, clean them off if theres anything on them and even if they don't look dirty you might as well clean them.

Also what condition is your key? If the chip in it is messed up your car won't start and you'll probly see a yellowish light on your dash when you turn your key that says 'security'. If thats it replace the key.

Could be the starter too - it's easy enough to pull off, just gotta have the car up on ramps and the right tools/strength. It's like two bolts and some nuts/wires and possibly a heatshield you'll have to pull off to get to it. Anyways if you pull that off and take it to a parts store they should be able to check if its working. I replaced mine and haven't had any starting problems since, I really hope its gone. Ran me like 170 for the starter.
So did u change ur starter before changing the key? The security light is there, but it comes and goes. The newest thing I discovered with this problem is that if I drive it around the block then turn it off and try turning it back on right away it wont start up right away. I wait for about 2 minutes try again and it'll start. Any ideas on that? Thanks

Old 05-18-2010 | 11:23 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

a starter solonoid will do that but it should be clicking.

Old 05-19-2010 | 05:26 AM
In the Staging Lanes

I actually never got around to replacing my beat up key lol.

The security light should pop up for a second right when you turn your car on but go off right after - if it's popping back up when you turn the key to start the engine then there is a problem.

Thats kinda what mine would do - just randomly it wouldn't start, I'd like grab a pop at a gas station come out and my car wouldn't start so I would hang out in it for a while turning the key and it luckily would start after a while...

I've also heard it could be stuff like bad connections, frayed wires, ignition switch, dirty ground, etc. Good luck!! Definitely get that starter tested.

Old 05-20-2010 | 01:12 PM
|

Originally Posted by Cammy 3.8lV6
I actually never got around to replacing my beat up key lol.

The security light should pop up for a second right when you turn your car on but go off right after - if it's popping back up when you turn the key to start the engine then there is a problem.

Thats kinda what mine would do - just randomly it wouldn't start, I'd like grab a pop at a gas station come out and my car wouldn't start so I would hang out in it for a while turning the key and it luckily would start after a while...

I've also heard it could be stuff like bad connections, frayed wires, ignition switch, dirty ground, etc. Good luck!! Definitely get that starter tested.
Thanks for your help. I'm going to start looking at this key issue and see what happens.

Old 05-20-2010 | 03:04 PM
3rd Gear Member

Will the neutral safety switch do that on new cars with the security feature? Try starting it with the car shifted in neutral.

Old 05-23-2010 | 06:57 PM
In the Staging Lanes

let us know what you find - every thread like this I see they never come back and tell us what was wrong after its fixed!!

Old 05-23-2010 | 07:25 PM
Default starting problems

Have you checked your starter.

Old 06-01-2010 | 12:06 PM
|

It turns out it was the starter. The car eventually wouldn't turn on at all. Had to tap the starter then it started, took it in and got it replaced now everything works great. Thanks for all your help!