Engine & Internal Cams, heads, valvetrain, rotating assemblies. Chat about beefing up your insides here.

Please help . .Vacuum to booster and oil leak ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2009, 10:25 AM
Default Please help . .Vacuum to booster and oil leak ?'s

Hi all,

I have a sb 350 engine with a big cam in it. The engine only puts out 6" of vacuum to the booster from the carb. The power brakes do not work well at all. I was thinking of putting on an electric vacuum pump that goes directly to the booster. It does not use the vacuum from the carb at all. What do you think?
Something that may be related. As soon as I park the car and then turn it off it will leak around 10 drops of oil. Then I can let it set for days and it will not leak any oil. The engine does not have a pcv valve. Do you think I could use the vacuum line from the carb to install a pcv valve on a valve cover to help it. I am wondering if the oil is leaking because of too much pressure in the engine. Currently both valve covers have a breather only.
Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Old 07-25-2009, 01:03 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

You DO want to have a PCV valve. That connection will suck the ventilation from the crankcase, instead of the engine blowing it out on it's own. And if you're referring to the large center port on the lower center of the carb, then yes that's where to connect the PCV hose.
And with the vacuum for the brakes, I guess it's worth a shot. It probably would be a good idea to use a reservoir tank and figure a way to regulate the vacuum level. They also make hydroboost systems that run off a power steering pump for situations like yours, but it's a more expensive way to go. Let us know how it works.

Last edited by Camaro 69; 07-25-2009 at 01:12 PM.
Old 07-25-2009, 06:36 PM

Thanks for the reply. Today I did put on a CVR electric vacuum pump which goes directly to the booster. It does not use any vacuum from the engine. The brakes do work much better!
When I get time, I will now try to remove the breather from the drivers side valve cover and put on a pcv valve using the vacuum from the back of the carb. which is the old vacuum connection that was going to the booster.
The vacuum is only pulling 6" from the back of the carb, but like you said it should help the engine ventilate the crank.
I appreciate your advice and will post back about the pcv valve.

I do have another question for you or someone that may now.
I just bought this car a month ago and I believe it had too much motor oil in it.
I removed about a quart and drove the car around two different times and it has not leaked anymore. Can having too much oil in it cause a leak from the rear main seal or somewhere else?

Thanks again!!