Engine & Internal Cams, heads, valvetrain, rotating assemblies. Chat about beefing up your insides here.

need help with my first hipo beast

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 04:53 PM
Default need help with my first hipo beast

ok so my problem is i cant get my new 355 to run right heres what im working with.

350 bored .30 over
flat tops/4 valve reliefs
all new bottom ebd fresh from the machine shop
edelbrock performer rpm cam/intake
194 heads with 3 angle valve job springs to match my cam cant remember seat pressure
all new internal in the heads
holley 600 cfm 4 bbl carb its the cheap one with only 2 air/fuel screws and a idle adjuster
accell 75,000 dizzy (i believe)
accell 8mm wires
accell shorty header plugs

i think i covered it all there

here are some readings and stuff ive gotten

vacuum gauge hooked to small port on the pass/front side of the carb(this is where i have my vac advance hooked too) im getting a reading of 0-1 at idle and around 19 while reving the throttle

vacuun gauge hooked to the large port on the front of the carb (where i have my pcv running too) im getting 10-13 fluctuating (maybe this is normal for the cam all i remember is its 488/510 lift

things ive done or checked to fix the problem

checked all plug wires they all get spark good strong spark

checked timing by ear an how well the motor cranks as i cant use the light because it doesnt have a timing tab on it

hooked 2 gauge ground wire with heavy copper ends from the back of the pass head with a 3/8 bolt to the firewall and yes i cleaned the surfaces to bare metal

have continualy messed with the air/fuel mixtures on the carb

compression test checked out great

sprayed starter fluid on intake,carb,vac sources and couldnt find any leaks

heres the issue it idlels by jumping from 900-1000 and when i apply the throttle although i hold it steady it revs up and down. also im getting white smoke that smells like gas. what could this be is there a set way of adjusting the carb. i have no expereince with timing curves an stuff like that an i dont understand it at all. also i didnt degree cam but the way it starts an all it seems fine.

this is my first performance type engine everything else ive done has been just stock stuff with maybe a edy carb an intake so im new to all this. i dont even know what kinda power this thing should or will make but i hope its good cuz its been alot of headache and money with this thing.

Old 01-06-2011, 08:09 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

You gave a lot of info, but more is needed.
What year is the car. What type of fuel supply are you running, electric or mechanical pump?
Does the idle jump up and down with the vacuum advance hose disconnected, and the port on the carb plugged?
Where is the white smoke from, the exhaust or what?
Smells like gas makes me thing it's running rich, possibly the float level in the carb set too high, or too high of fuel pressure. Come back with your pump specs.
Tuning the engine "by ear" is going to be a little tough for getting the timing set just right.
Is the trans an automatic? If so, you could set the timing using the brake torque method.