Engine & Internal Cams, heads, valvetrain, rotating assemblies. Chat about beefing up your insides here.

Need Help with Engine

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2009, 08:56 PM
Default Need Help with Engine

http://www.jegs.com/p/Blueprint-Engi...97263/10002/-1

This is the engine I have and under hard acceleration it sputters for a second(pretty bad) and then takes off.

Fuel system is stock.

Old 10-31-2009, 12:13 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Sputters under hard acceleration off the line, while cruising, or both?
What type of distributor are you running?
Your problem could be: carb over-jetted, carb under-jetted, accelerator pump adjustment, choke not opening fully, ignition timing off, distributor advance not coming in at the right time, vacuum advance hooked up wrong, a vacuum leak. I may have forgotten something, but that should keep you busy for a few minutes!

Old 10-31-2009, 01:13 AM

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
Sputters under hard acceleration off the line, while cruising, or both?
What type of distributor are you running?
Your problem could be: carb over-jetted, carb under-jetted, accelerator pump adjustment, choke not opening fully, ignition timing off, distributor advance not coming in at the right time, vacuum advance hooked up wrong, a vacuum leak. I may have forgotten something, but that should keep you busy for a few minutes!
Off the line..........

My timing is off by 8 degrees, but I didn't think that matter too much.

Old 10-31-2009, 09:55 AM

Probably, there could be a problem in the Ignition timing, further check the ignition condensor.

Old 11-01-2009, 09:38 AM
August 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by crug75hid
Probably, there could be a problem in the Ignition timing, further check the ignition condensor.
I really doubt he's running a points setup...

What kind of carb are you running? I'd say the accelerator pump discharge nozzles need changed to a larger size.

Old 11-05-2009, 02:12 PM

edelbrock 750.

Old 11-05-2009, 02:16 PM

I was thinking I need an in line fuel filter.

Old 11-05-2009, 02:36 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

8 degs sound like a gm factory setting is that what the motor manufacturing recommended? Timing is everthing on a motor. We can spend weeks talking about how to tweak your motor but, For the money your have invested you really should think about taking to a pro and having it setup on a dyno. For the $200-$300 it would cost you will most likely see a world of differents. The challange is finding the right shop. Either go to drag night or car shows and ask around. Almost every part of your carburator and distributor is adjustable. Getting a base line on where to start from can be tuff for pros. There are a lot of mechanics out there that are no better at it then you are.

I have seen customers flat out amazed at the differents the correct jets and accelerator pump adjustment and some hvy weights in the disturbutor can do. Without the Dyno its al trail and error and takes even more skill. Make sure you get in writing all the settings he did so in the furture you can try things but always get back to your base line if you need to.

Last edited by Gorn; 11-05-2009 at 02:53 PM.
Old 11-06-2009, 06:23 AM
1st Gear Member

Thats good advice Gorn, We are very happy to have real experienced Mechanics and Engineers on this Forum like you. You guys have helped me alot, i thought i knew a little about cars until I inherited a Camaro and joined this Forum. Cant say Thanks enough !!

Old 11-19-2009, 07:45 PM
Default Need Help with Engine

Before I installed joomla, I installed other CMS via cpanel-fantastisco. The installation is very easy, but I dont like that CMS so I decided to installed joomla via cpanel also. But this time I am getting error saying I already installed joomla and cant create the database. I cant I installed the previous CMS via cpanel because I think some files are missing. Please help. Thanks

Quick Reply: Need Help with Engine