Engine & Internal Cams, heads, valvetrain, rotating assemblies. Chat about beefing up your insides here.

need help with 94 z28

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2007, 03:38 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default need help with 94 z28

Hey whats up everyone! I have a couple of problems that I was wondering if anyone could help me with or at least point me in the right direction. My 94 z28 has a coolant leak, I pressure tested the system and it looks as if its coming from the block, I thought maybe it was cracked, but I looked closer and cant tell. The leak is from the top front end of the block, its leaking around the water pump and distributor where they connect to the front of the block. There is a metal cover on the front of the engine, it almost looks like its leaking from there. Another problem that I dont know if its related to the coolant leak, but whenever Im driving down the highway my SES light comes on and so do my fans. Whenever I stop my volt gauge goes way down almost into the red.The fans will only stop if I turn the car off. I checked all my fuses and all is fine.

Ok so onto the next one...I had one of my buddies riding with me one time and I was at a dead stop and I gave the car some gas and an extremely loud clunking noise came from underneath the passenger side. My buddy said it felt like he got punched in the ***. It only happens when I get on the car from a complete stop not when Im driving and get on it. My guess is tranny mount, but I just wanted to see if anyone else had a guess.

Thanks for all your suggestions in advance!

akohnz

Old 04-11-2007, 05:14 PM
2nd Gear member
Default RE: need help with 94 z28

big clunk= tranny mount coolant=probly a leaking water pump or bad seal.

Old 04-12-2007, 02:01 AM

As far as the voltage goes check your altenator, I was driving and hearing a loud clunking sound in the same area. I just replaced my alt. today.

Old 04-13-2007, 03:57 PM
In the Staging Lanes

My alternator is fine, its been checked like 4 times and been golden everytime...figures. For the coolant leak what about the freeze plugs or the opti spark, could those be possibilites? I know where the opti is at but what about the freeze plugs? If the seal is bad how would I change that? Thanks.

akohnz

Old 04-13-2007, 04:32 PM
Tech Droid

The clunk you hear is due to either a broken transmission mount or front torque arm mount. The noise is caused when either part hits the floorboard. Keep driving in that condition and you will cause more damage.
In most cases, when the SES lite comes on the PCM will turn on the fans to protect the engine. You need to scan the PCM and see what the complaint is about.

You need to take a good at the water pump & see what is leaking and fix it, if it leaks along the mount points it is probably a bad gasket or a loose or missing mounting bolt (3 on each side). Water dripping on the distributor will cause it to die in short order, and by now you probably need a new one.