Engine & Internal Cams, heads, valvetrain, rotating assemblies. Chat about beefing up your insides here.

Need help

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2007, 02:10 AM
Default Need help

I just bought my first car, it's an 89 camaro. I got it dirt cheap, so I expected things to be wrong with it, but when I pulled it into my house and got a closer look under the hood, I noticed something disconnected. Now, I'm not a car person at all, so I don't know if that should be connected or if it doesn't really make a difference:

http://img361.imageshack.us/img361/1...0321ft1sx7.jpg

Old 06-03-2007, 06:53 AM
HELP ME TOM CRUISE
Yaaarrrrrr
Default RE: Need help

There is typically a rubber or aluminum flex hose that goes there, from the exhaust manifold cover to the air intake. It was designed to be there for a reason, so it might need to be replaced. However, you dont exactly need it, it warms up the air which is not quite what you want cold air is better.

Old 06-03-2007, 10:12 PM

yea, it is mostly for when you ar 1st starting the car, because whe you do a cold start up, if your engine is cold as well as the air, the air fuel mix will suspend meaning that you will not get proper atomization of your air fuel mix. Also for emission purposes, pretty much like and EGR valve but through the filter intake system rather than the intake manifold. So it is not necessary if you dont care of smog emissions.

Old 06-04-2007, 11:25 AM
Tech Droid

That is known as the heat riser pipe. Its purpose is to provide warm air to the carb end prevent it from icing up during cold & damp weather. Ifthe valveis working properly, it will shut off the hot air once the engine has warmed up or if the manifold vacuum drops during hard acceleration. It has little effect on air pollution but makes the car much more drivable in cold weather.