Engine & Internal Cams, heads, valvetrain, rotating assemblies. Chat about beefing up your insides here.

Lifters making a ticking noise

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2007, 11:33 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Lifters making a ticking noise

I got an 81 Camaro with a 305...I can hear a ticking noise commin out of the engine..first people told me it was my plug wires so i bought new ones and put them in...But I still can hear the noise...Now people tell me its my lifters....whatare they and what should I do to stop the noise>?

Old 06-19-2007, 12:19 PM
Tech Droid
Default RE: Lifters making a ticking noise

You should try to pin down where the ticking noise is coming from. There are various things that can generate ticking noises, such as leaky exhaust, injector pulsing, and valve train problems. If it is coming from under the valve covers it is most likely a valve train problem, ranging from bad lifters, bent push rods, damaged rocker arms, or bad rocker arm adjustment.

Old 06-20-2007, 09:30 AM
In the Staging Lanes

HI CAMAROKID81 G.M. HAD A LOT OF PROBLEMS WITH THE 305 IF THE ENGINE IS STILL STOCK IT COULD BE BAD VALVE GUIDES IN THE HEADS OR IT COULD BE SOFT CAMSHAFTS OR BOTH EITHER WAY IT SOUNDS LIKE IT IS A VALVE TRAIN PROBLEM IF YOU NOT SURE CHECK
WITH AN ENGINE BUILDER IN YOUR AREA THEY KNOW ALL THE DETAILS
THANKS HOPE THIS IS SOME HELP
STICKIT

Old 06-20-2007, 05:15 PM
In the Staging Lanes

If it is the lifters if they are not hydrolic (which i dont think that year was) then you can just tighten them if they have become loose or you can replace them.

Old 06-21-2007, 12:59 AM
1st Gear Member

The noise is coming from the passenger side of the engine...and the ticking is consistant with the RPM's...the higher I rev, the faster the ticks...

snake10556- If it is the lifters...how much am I looking at to replace them...and what should I go for being on a tight part-time summer job???
z28pete- The leaky exhaust could be a big possibility...I only have ten inches of peice pipe on eachsideand a muffler...I know its not sealed up or anything so That's a big chance....
STICKIT- Bad valve guides?...what am I looking at to replace those?I have another 305 sittin on a stand in my garage...would it be jus as easy and cheap to take the heads off of that one and switch mine...?

ALSO...Is this like a serious issue that needs to be fixed RIGHT AWAY??...or is it not gonna hurt anything for a litle while?

Old 06-21-2007, 05:28 AM
In the Staging Lanes

CAMAROKID81 MY BEST THING I CAN OFFER IS IF YOU WISH TO KEEP THIS MOTOR FOR A WHILE AND THE REST
OF THE MOTOR IS IN GOOD SHAPE I WOULD SAY JUST PULL THOSE HEADS OFF AND GET THEM REBUILT THE HEADS
ON THE OTHER MOTOR MAY OR MAY NOT BE AS GOOD BESIDES THAT A LOT OF WORK TO DO YOU ONLY WANT TO DO
IT ONCE ALSO THE LONGER YOU LEAVE IT THEWORST IT WILL GET AND THE MORE DAMAGE IT WILL DO
THANKS
STICKIT

Old 06-22-2007, 04:06 PM
1st Gear Member

Yah I should have parked my car along time ago...I was drivin ten minutes away to work and now it started to make a louder faster clicking noise....Damn I should have parked it!

Old 06-23-2007, 03:19 AM
Overdrive Member

ORIGINAL: STICKIT

CAMAROKID81 MY BEST THING I CAN OFFER IS IF YOU WISH TO KEEP THIS MOTOR FOR A WHILE AND THE REST
OF THE MOTOR IS IN GOOD SHAPE I WOULD SAY JUST PULL THOSE HEADS OFF AND GET THEM REBUILT THE HEADS
ON THE OTHER MOTOR MAY OR MAY NOT BE AS GOOD BESIDES THAT A LOT OF WORK TO DO YOU ONLY WANT TO DO
IT ONCE ALSO THE LONGER YOU LEAVE IT THEWORST IT WILL GET AND THE MORE DAMAGE IT WILL DO
THANKS
STICKIT
Ok...can we work without the caps lock on here? It makes things much easier to read. Thanks...

Old 06-23-2007, 09:27 AM
In the Staging Lanes

WELL IF YOU MOREWORRIED ABOUT HOW INFO IS PUT DOWN RATHER THAN WHAT IS BEING PUT
DOWN THAN MAYBE I AM ON THE WRONG SITE
AND IF YOU ARE DISSATISFIED WITH ME ALL YOU HAVE TO DO IS ASK ME TO LEAVE
BECAUSE IF THAT IS THE CASE THAN I MUST BE ON THE WRONG SITE
STICKIT

Old 06-24-2007, 01:15 AM
Overdrive Member

Dude, don't get all indignant on me and whatnot, I don't want you to leave, and we appriciate any info and experience you have, but all caps just make stuff much harder to read than it has to be.

Quick Reply: Lifters making a ticking noise